Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

How to get out a striped drain plug??

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 08:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get out a striped drain plug??

i got a

Old 10-26-2003, 08:20 PM
Pro Rider

Hammer a standard size socket onto it

Old 10-26-2003, 08:27 PM
Pro Rider

I bought a used 2000 warrior and it runs fine i desided to stert fixing things.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] there are parts missing wires cut off and going nowhere and rong screws in rong wholes!

Today i went to change the oil and the drain plug was stripped a lot and on vary tight!! how do i get it off?? thanks

Old 10-26-2003, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider

Drill into it if you can and get a EZ-out that usually works. If not there are som pliers that get tighter as you pull on them Snap-on makes them I think that they are called bolt grip pliers. If it is stripped on the threads rather than the bolt head then you will have to drill it out and get a new one then helicoil it. I hope this helps.

Old 10-27-2003, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider

What 007 said, I had the same problem, hammered one on, then replaced it. Good luck!

Old 10-27-2003, 12:51 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

If the drain plug is very tight, how do you know it is stripped? If you have not removed the bolt yet?

If it is so tight that you can not move it. I'd first spray the bolt with something to help loosen the bolt. (I can't think of the name of the spray that I use and I don't feel like going out to the garage.) Let it sit for a little while. Then try to loosen it with a regular ratchet and socket. If it doesn't come out now then spray it again and after a while try a breaker bar with the socket. Slowly. If it wasn't stripped then it might be after the breaker bar. If the head is stripped then spray it and see if you can get some vise grips on the end of the bolt tightly. You can use a chisel to make a couple flat edges to make a better grip on the rounded bolt head. If you can't turn it with the visegrip alone then try putting a pipe over the end of the visegrip and then try to turn it. If none of these things work then you could try a screw extractor. If the threads are messed up in the motor and you decide to tap and coil it. Make sure it is done along with the same angle as the original hole. If it is crooked then it might drip.

Old 10-27-2003, 01:26 AM
Pro Rider

I've had luck getting drain plugs loosened by giving them a pretty solid smack with a hammer. Granted this was on heavy equipment, but it worked on my differential plugs on my Wolvy. I guess it just jars the threads enough to loosen them. If the head is rounded off thats a another problem.

Old 10-27-2003, 08:06 AM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: Coyotechaser
If the drain plug is very tight, how do you know it is stripped? If you have not removed the bolt yet? .[/]

the head of the bolt is stripped not the threds

Old 10-27-2003, 10:28 AM
Pro Rider

Did ya ever get it out? If none of those things work you may be able to weld another nut to the rounded off one. The heat may also help. Let us know how it goes.

Old 10-27-2003, 12:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: BornToRide101
Originally posted by: Coyotechaser
If the drain plug is very tight, how do you know it is stripped? If you have not removed the bolt yet? .[/]

the head of the bolt is stripped not the threds

In a way, a rounded bolt head is better than stripped threads. Stripped drain hole threads are bad. Good luck with getting it out.

Quick Reply: How to get out a striped drain plug??