Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

I bought a raptor and i want more power.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 12:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I bought a raptor and i want more power.

That stuff about racing a stock Raptor is a bunch of crap. There are plenty of Raptors out there that don't have a lot of money in them and they are competetive. The reason you don't see them in the pro level racing is because of the displacement restriction. That's why Yamaha came out with the 450. Up here where I race they don't break down the classes by skill level (beginer, novis etc), they just go by displacement. I can only race in the Open class so I am racing with some pro level riders (me being Novis to Intermediate) and I can keep up on my very moderately modifyed Raptor. This guy is 14 years old and is more interested in poping wheelies in all 5 gears. I don't think we should be discouraging people from racing whatever they have. Once he learns to ride the Raptor stock, he can only improve by modifying it.

OK, I'll get off the box.

Old 10-29-2003, 02:19 PM
Pro Rider

Rider ability equal, a stock Raptor cannot compete with a YFZ or even a 400ex with good tires. The power is there but not the handling. At a minimum, he'll need new a-arms, axle, shocks, and tires. If I were on a limited budget and wanted to race a Raptor, I'd leave the engine alone and concentrate on handling.

Raptorman55 - If you want to wheelie in every gear, run something like 12/44 gearing and adjust the rear shock for max stiffness.

Old 10-29-2003, 02:41 PM
Pro Rider

UBETRUN - I totaly agree, but that shouldn't keep him from getting out there and racing anyway. Besides, like you said, rider ability is where it's at. I'm seeing more and more kids on YZF 450's who are racing and have no experience and are running in the back of the pack. I also agree that as their experience grows they will be faster than somebody with equal experience on a Raptor because the 450 is built to race, but my point was, the Raptor IS racable as is. You may not be on the podium, but you can still have fun.

Old 10-29-2003, 03:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

ya except my neighabors own a powercoating company, i want annodized. i have no clue how to spell that! thanks though. i live in decatur, Il

Old 10-29-2003, 04:03 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I have an e-series on my Rap and it's pretty loud.....98DB....is that at idle?

Old 10-29-2003, 04:07 PM
Trailblazer

garryc660r that is not at idle.Mine was tested by mn dnr. They run it at 2500 rpm.

Old 10-29-2003, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not trying to talk the kid out of racing. He just can't be too competetive w/out spending a ton of money on all the things UBETRUN mentioned and he's going to ruin his brand new bike. I know from experience that EVERYTHING will bend. He'll ruin everything on that bike except the motor, take it from me, I'm going through it right now. It's going to cost me a fortune just to make it rideable again and then the money hole continues w/ mods. I encourage everybody who is getting in to our sport but this kid probably can't afford the heartache that I am going through, I know I can't. Unless there's already sponsors to upgrade and fix it for him, which there probably aren't considering he's a first timer, he should take good care of this bike instead of running it into the ground. Good Times.

Old 10-29-2003, 07:21 PM
Pro Rider

Punker660, Was your bike stock when you tore it up and how did you do it. I've been racing mine for 2 years now and even though I've done some modifications on the suspension, it wasn't like that the whole time and I haven't busted anything but bent handlebars. I'm not a pro rider, but I'm not slow either. I don't jump big (anymore) but I hit the woops pretty hard and that's a lot harder on the bike than jumping.

Old 10-29-2003, 07:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to keep it quiet and more power...go with the FMF Q. That's what I'd do.

Old 10-29-2003, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider

FMF is terrible on a raptor id say get a K&N filter, MBRP or Curtis Sparks exhaust, lose the airbox lid, rejet it, and get like a 12T front sprocket.

Quick Reply: I bought a raptor and i want more power.