Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

SNAPPED A ZERT....HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 10:50 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SNAPPED A ZERT....HELP

I have....or had....a cr@ppy grease gun that fit too snugly on my zerts. I was greasing up the A-arms on my Raptor and had to fight to get the grease gun to let go. Well I ended up snapping the zert off with the top half stuck in the grease gun and the lower threaded portion stuck in the A-arm.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

After throwing the grease gun against my barn wall I threw it in the trash. Now how in the heck am I supposed to get that "half" portion of zert out of my A-arm? There is nothing sticking out to grab onto with channel locks or anything. Any suggestions?

Old 11-20-2003, 10:54 AM
Pro Rider

Since the zerk fitting is hollow...you should have no problem getting it out with a reverse drill bit or an EZ-out screw removal kit

Old 11-20-2003, 10:56 AM
Pro Rider

You can try the cheap approach and put a drill bit in there and see if one of the flutes catches on part of the broken zerk. Or hit the home depot and I believe there is a tool called an easy-out that basically has two knife edges, kind of looks like a drill bit and will bite into the broken thread end.

You can also drill it out. Make sure you know the thread size and shoot a hole that is undersized of the minor thread diameter. Put some liquid wrench in there to help whichever way you try.

Is your barn wall ok?

Old 11-20-2003, 11:20 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Thanks guys...sounds like that should work. I'll go buy the easy-out kit today.

My barn wall is unfinished lumber so it's OK....just a little greasy.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-20-2003, 11:23 AM
RIP Dear Friend

Same they happened to me and I was able to take a very small craftmans screw driver ( the kind I carry in my pocket protector ) and stick in the half left and work it right out.

Old 11-20-2003, 11:30 AM
Pro Rider

I'd stop and get my new zerk first and take it with me to get the easy out...It seems to me that every time I get to the parts store things look a different size than what I remember...at least if you have it with you it can be matched up....your memory may be better than mine thou[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 11-20-2003, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider

I agree...after years of guessing what size a nut, bolt or thread size is....I went out and bought a digital caliper....one of the best investments I ever made... no more guess work on measurements.

Old 11-20-2003, 11:37 AM
RIP Dear Friend

Originally posted by: shastadog
I'd stop and get my new zerk first and take it with me to get the easy out...It seems to me that every time I get to the parts store things look a different size than what I remember...at least if you have it with you it can be matched up....your memory may be better than mine thou[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]
shastadog,

You make a good point and one I should have brought up. I went to the hardware store, the auto parts store and could not find a match so I had to get one through the Yamaha shop. Its metric and I think 8mm.

Old 11-20-2003, 11:45 AM
RIP Dear Friend

I went ouside and looked at what I had to pay for the jerk and I ended up paying $2.98[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

I going into the jerk business. My jerk doesn't even match the original one, the new one was black

Old 11-20-2003, 12:12 PM
Elite Pro Rider

That's kind of funny, but no so laughable because my local dealer doesn't even have any in stock.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

My brother-in-law sells Craftsman tools so he is picking up the screw extractor set for me today. I just need to find the right size zert now. I think I'll get some extras when I find the right one.

Thanks.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]