Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

HELP: yfz wont start with yz exhaust cam

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP: yfz wont start with yz exhaust cam

Hey there. I had another thread going back when I could actualy get the thing started after 100 turnovers. Now it wont start at all? This is a problem that most people have with doing the cam mod, that why i did the yz cam, so that the decomp pin is in the right place. A couple of people said to just do the cam mod, and dont bother with the yz cam. Well, that didnt work either. THe bike runs great, if you get it started! THe bike also starts just fine with the stock cam and timing back in it. What the heck am I doing worng here?
Most people I talk to say the yz cam is the way to go, and that they dont have any probs at all? Well I do...............

Old 11-20-2003, 10:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Lots of people seem to have problem's after the cam mod. Even a couple detonations after the cam mod.

Old 11-20-2003, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider

I understand a lot of people have problems with the "cam mod". Thats why I didnt do it. It moves the decomp pin, and the thing doesnt like starting. SO i sepent the money and got screwed anyways, just wondering how? Makes no sense to me. Its the same cam, and this way the decomp is in the right place. Most people I talk to say that they have no problem at all with doing the yz cam. Hmmmmm, dont know what to do?

Old 11-20-2003, 11:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I don't know what to tell you. I don't know too much about the YFZ, but I know that the cam mod is bad, that's why I pointed that out. I guess take it to a dealership or shop and let them check it out...that could end up being pricey as most shops are very high on doing work or anything that requires them to move. But that could be the only option on know of, unless you put the stock cam back in.

Old 11-21-2003, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider

Guys you have to be kidding if you think the cam mod is bad.
I did it & it works very well.
I dont know how reliable the stories are that you have heard about so called probs.
go onto 2 other well known forum sites and you will see the amount of guys that have great success with the cam mod
If you need the links or more help email me and I'll try to help.

gcase@ozemail.com.au

Good luck, Geoff.

Old 11-21-2003, 12:44 PM
Trailblazer

I performed the cam mod and it starts just as easily. I thought about buying the YZ cam, but figured I should try the YFZ's cam in the YZ position first since it didn't cost any money.

There's too many people who have performed the cam mod without problems for it to be a bad idea. If everybody who did the mod had problems, I'd stay away. Since this isn't the case and only a handful have encountered problems, I suspect you've done something wrong. What ever is wrong with your ATV may not have anything to do with the new cam timing; it may only be exaggerated by the new timing. The problem is likely to be found elsewhere on your ATV. I would start with a close examination of your jetting.

Good luck!

Old 11-21-2003, 03:35 PM
Pro Rider

I see a mimic of the controversial "Raptor 01 Tranny" issue arising. Looks like this one's gonna be the "YFZ Cam" issue. I guess we can expect arguements over this one for the next couple of years to.

~HoundDog

Old 11-21-2003, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: HoundDog06
I see a mimic of the controversial "Raptor 01 Tranny" issue arising. Looks like this one's gonna be the "YFZ Cam" issue. I guess we can expect arguements over this one for the next couple of years to.

~HoundDog
Text

your right Hound Dog you will get arguments especially when you make naive comments like yours.

Geoff

Old 11-21-2003, 04:17 PM
Pro Rider

Are you kick starting the bike or using the elec start....it may be that the starter motor doesn't create enough RPM to fire the quad with these mods...kinda like putting a "rev box" on a 400ex...I'd be willing to bet it bump starts like a champ

Old 11-21-2003, 05:03 PM
Trailblazer

135boom, for your benefit...

I'm using the e-starter on mine and the cam mod seemed to make little or no difference. A lot of the times engines are hard to start because they're pilot jet is too lean. Starting generally takes a richer mixure to be successful. I can tell you my ATV probably cranks over 5 times at maximum before it starts up. This includes the fluctuation in temperatures (air densities) we have this fall season.

Do you know if your ATV will start easier if you pull the choke lever out one notch (even in warm weather)? If so, maybe you are too lean.

Quick Reply: HELP: yfz wont start with yz exhaust cam