Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Have you been injured riding a quad?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 06:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have you been injured riding a quad?

One good thing I haven't had to see a doctor on any of my mishaps
I don't think it matters when you hit a non-living thing and IT has to go to the Dr....lol

Me crash....nope, no way, no how, never do it....never go to the Dr. either.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Seriously though, I have been lucky that I have only been to the ER twice from riding accidents. One was on my old KX and the other was about 5 years ago on a Yamaha Badger. For some reason I couldn't get my size 12 foot out from under the shifter before a stump caugh it and broke it (my foot, not the shifter).

Old 11-26-2003, 07:26 AM
Pro Rider

Never to the Doc...Been lucky though...I've flipped 6-7 times. Rolled a Big Bear all the way to the bottom of this long hill. It needed 911 but I didn't get a scratch. Have been stiff and sore for a few days but nothing major [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-26-2003, 10:19 AM
Pro Rider

The reason I bought my Raptor was because I crashed big on the bike and broke my leg and hand. I was still in a cast when I got the quad (not knowing about the high CoG). It had just rained and I took a quick trip around the drive way and slid out, tipped over and separated my shoulder.
Then this year i got back from Iraq on the 2nd of July, spent the 4th with the wifes family, came home on the 5th at about 8 p.m. and decided to take a quick ride over to the gravel pit. Not even riding fast, I hit a bump weird and the quad pitched sideways and I stuck my foot out. I ran over my foot and broke my leg and dislocated my ankle then fell off and dislocated my shoulder. So I had been home from Iraq for about 2 hours and my summer quad riding was over. I promissed my wife I would sell the Raptor after that but I couldn't find anybody who wanted to pay $10,000 for it so I guess I have to keep it.

Old 11-26-2003, 11:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: Starky
The reason I bought my Raptor was because I crashed big on the bike and broke my leg and hand. I was still in a cast when I got the quad (not knowing about the high CoG). It had just rained and I took a quick trip around the drive way and slid out, tipped over and separated my shoulder.
Then this year i got back from Iraq on the 2nd of July, spent the 4th with the wifes family, came home on the 5th at about 8 p.m. and decided to take a quick ride over to the gravel pit. Not even riding fast, I hit a bump weird and the quad pitched sideways and I stuck my foot out. I ran over my foot and broke my leg and dislocated my ankle then fell off and dislocated my shoulder. So I had been home from Iraq for about 2 hours and my summer quad riding was over. I promissed my wife I would sell the Raptor after that but I couldn't find anybody who wanted to pay $10,000 for it so I guess I have to keep it.
Now that sucks! Came out of a sandy berm on my sencond ride and pulled a wheely in 3rd gear and came off the back (broken grab bar). My little bro thought i was hurt but only the grab bar and a bent left tie-rod. So far i have been pretty lucky on the MX track, i did over jump a 45 foot step down and landed on the flat that was a crushing blow (knocked the wind out of me but i stayed on the quad). Trying to keep the rubber side down!

Old 11-26-2003, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider

Well my chiropractor knows me by name if that counts.

More concussions than I care to remember, actually I cant remember! One grade 3 shoulder seperation that ended up in surgery, I think I would rather give birth than go through another surgery like that. Broken big toe on my shifting foot, now that hurts! Fingers that have been smashed between the handlebars and a tree.

Couple of weeks ago riding at Murray I did a perfect ten rolling, leg out, side flip off the side of my banshee right smack into a tree. Hit tree root with right rear tire in 2nd gear, and it shoved the left front tire right into a 10 inch round tree. This combination of factors provided for the perfect dismount into a standing tree.

Rounded a sand curve one day at Murray, thought id take a short run with no helmet on. Tire dug in rolled over, managed to kick the bike from rolling on me, but the sick sadistic banshee did manage to leave a real cool pattern of razr tire marks from the middle of my thigh, up my rib cage, and across my arm.

Headed up carpet hill at RRidge one day in 3rd gear leading the pack. Hit a series of HUGE potholes, went airborne, dead centered a tree in the front bumper while in mid air- performed by far my best manuever yet. What I'd like to call a 180 superman over the bars with a perfect stick landing on my head. That one truly rung my bell for the day.

Old 11-26-2003, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider

I've been ran over by my own quad a few times, but it never caused any real damage. I had a bad wreck on my 400ex where I rolled with it somewhere around the top of fourth gear. The left foot peg stabbed me in the back of my left thigh. It didn't actually break skin, but it did leave me with a bruise so deep that it caused a sensation in my left leg like just getting off the toilet after reading an entire ATV magazine for a full two weeks. Walking around on the absolute worst "sleeping leg" possible for two weeks was nearly unbearable. I also had a very low speed impact between my ribs and my wifes trailblazer handlebars. Broken ribs are no joke. Let's not forget about the broken foot from trying to kickstart an older CR500. That thing had to go.

My worst wreck to date wasn't on a quad though. A little old lady in a Volvo pulled right out in front of me and I was going 55mph when the impact took place (speedo got stuck on impact). This was only three weeks ago and I am trying to heal up from a broken sternum and a broken forehead too. Broken ribs just don't compare to a broken sternum. It has caused all kinds of damage with little stuff like pinched nerves, slurred speach, and short term memory loss. Anyway, what was I saying? J/K. I smell settlement!!! Settlement= YFZ450, maybe?

Thanks for reading,
JP

Old 11-26-2003, 12:18 PM

yes i have my arm broke presently and my ankle and my knee my 400 ex is broken for 3500$

i did not make my stop.....

Old 11-26-2003, 12:25 PM
Pro Rider

For some damn odd reason i have never had to go to the doctors office from riding a quad.
Came damn close at the track one day last year i got the holeshot into the bottleneck and my back tire ran over another back tire and fliped me about 4 times into the corner with my 4wheeler rolling over the top of me. dont remember it but i got back up said a few choice words fliped my 4wheeler over and got back on and caught back up only to have my arms go numb and fall off again. got back on and finished 3rd. not to shabby for one day. but i can tell you i made DAMN sure i got the holeshot by far the next day. lesson learned.

Old 11-26-2003, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider

I spent a night in the hospital last december after a quick jetting run (shifted into sixth on gravel and that was the end) on my race bike. Broke thumb and an expensive bill.

I laid a crotch-rocket down about 2 years ago and when I stood up, there was no skin covering my left knee. The 1/2 mile walk home was painful. But it took a month to stretch the skin (they pulled the sides up over my knee to fill the gap) so that I could bend my leg. That month was the most pain I have ever felt.

Old 11-26-2003, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider

ive had my fair share of mishaps, but none too serious.

climbing a hill at a gravel pit that is only 4 1/2 feet wide and about 75 degree angle and probably 100 feet tall at the least. ya there were trees on both sides of the hill and i started to get traction on the left tire which shot me over too the side wheelie style and i hit a tree and bent the right a-arma nd tie rod

Quick Reply: Have you been injured riding a quad?