Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Have you been injured riding a quad?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have you been injured riding a quad?

i havent owned a quad i havent crashed! my last wreck was on my shee! ( i got yelled at by telling this story in another forum) ill keep it short! i was riding a wheelie on the highway( started in first gear) and while in the top of fifth gear the on ramp was coming up and the incline of the ramp sent me backwards! them i started tumbling wearing only a t shir, sweats, and a helmet! i had to quit my job(because i couldnt get out of bed sleeping on neosporin soaked trash bags for a month and a half! and i also lost the skin on both hands to the bone!

im hurting just thinking of that wreck!!!!

Old 11-26-2003, 04:20 PM
Pro Rider

banshee was a week old....went riding with a buddy and his girlfriend....they were on a blaster in front of me.
Ilagged behind a bit on one of the trails...cameout of a corner and there was the blaster sideways across the trail withthetwo of them still on it.

long story short...they spun out...I broad sided them at a good clip....we all flipped and rolled all over the place...
One broken rear fender on the banshee.....one upper arm and rim on blaster.....rear plastic on blaster..two broken ribs on girlfriend...onebroken wrist on other friend....one heck ofa headache forme....

that's the worst one for me.

My friend came up over a hill in a sand pit area we used to ride...did not realize that it was a drop off. Endedup going over the edge into a forest of pine trees.....same blaster...two more arms plus blown tires....bent axle....more plastic and a concusion...knocked himself out cold...I thought he was dead....he fell a good 40 ft.
blaster left a mark on a pine tree 8ft up the trunk.... I'll have to try to find the picture. we went back special just to look for the tree the bike hit.

man that blaster was killed when we sold it....don't think it had a strait part on it.

be careful out there!!

Old 11-26-2003, 05:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing Major

Flipped the Beartracker about 5 times altogether....

got smacked by my rear rack on my beartracker....nothing but a headache and a big bump.

Old 11-26-2003, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider

i crashed a few times on my blaster, the only 2 that resulted in scars is whe i was doing a wheelie, hit a small tree and flipped over my handlebars leaving a smll scar on my stomc and another time i crashed with no shirt on leving a pretty deep scrape on my back

Old 11-26-2003, 07:11 PM
Pro Rider

Yep, launched my self over the top of Sand Mountain, Nevada, about three months ago. Quad landed on me after I face planted on the other side. I thought I was gonna die, but managed to limp the bike back to the trailer (after some emergency repair procedures) and went to the Emergency Room figuring I broke a leg, but it was only soft tissue damage......owwww, and it still hurts a little.. Quad got tore up a little but I didn't spend more than ten bucks fixin it.....for now.....

Launched over a dune at Pismo a few years ago, ejected in mid flight, no damage but I layed there a long time....

A freinds son rolled a Honda 4x4 quad back onto himself in the Nevada desert this spring, he ended up puncturing his spleen.....but he's OK now.

Saw a girl at Hollister on a brand spanking new 400EX stab it and hit a tree just off the roadway...they life-flighted her outa there, and I never saw her move....she might of been a fatality.....

Yup, quads are not toys, they can and will injure and kill you. I never drink and smoke too much before I ride..very far.... ahh the truth is, I ride one or two long rides, and then I smoke and drink....then I can't ride anymore.....a perfect plan....

Old 11-26-2003, 07:21 PM
Pro Rider

broke my leg while ice racing. 400ex got crossed up in front of me and nailed him. my leg became the sandwich between the two quads. hurts just thinking about it.

Old 11-26-2003, 07:55 PM
Trailblazer

Drove my Bayou 220 into a 3.5 ft deep washout one night at Shiloh Ridge doing about 25/30mph sometime this past July. It was about 10:30 at night. I didn't see the hole until it was too late. Had no time to hit the brakes or to say "oh sh#t". I landed, the bike stopped and died. I was wearing BDU's with my pocket knife clipped in my right cargo pocket, which is not a great idea, because when I went over the handlebars I heard something snap and all I could think about was "What broke on the four wheeler?". Turns out, it was my knife catching on the throttle case and ripped a hole in my pants and my leg (glad the knife wasn't open). I never let go of the handlebars (which were now pointing foward) and when I opened my eyes, I could barely see my headlights out of the far corner of each eye. Thank God I had my storage bag on the front rack, I could gotten some broken ribs or worse if it hadn't padded the impact, and for keeping my buddies from driving over the top of me, because that hole was the right depth for my racks to be even with the top of the washout. The only injuries I got was the gouge in my leg and the few days of soreness afterwards.

The kicker to the story is: My friend that almost ran over me is a reserve policeman in Alto. We were sitting at his house on night last month. I told him I still had the bruise from the crash. He then told me someone had gotten killed in an wreck at Shiloh, and then he asked me, "Do you know where it was at?". I said "My washout?" He said "Yep"

Be careful out there.

Old 11-26-2003, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider

just one time and it was a dooooosey!

Old 11-26-2003, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider

My Doctors name is Mr.Cannaday lol. Ive wrecked alot but only one serious time.... I was going up the side of a hill and came over hald of a wet tree that was laying down (like a speed bump) Like a moron I decided to go ahead and proceed. Rear tires lost traction and front end came up. I bailed and rolled down cliff only to look up and see my quad coming straight down onto me. It dragged me BLAH BLAH BLAH all in all i got a messed up knee with about the size of a grown mans fist. other times were because of tie rod breaks, getting hit by other people donut flip overs (DONT ASK LOL) and wheelie..

Travis

Old 11-26-2003, 11:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

A couple mishaps for me. Foot sliped off, got caught under the rear tire, The bike flipped, I flipped with it. Slammed me to the hard packed ground at about 20mph or so onto my side. Bike rolled a couple more times and stopped, parked between 2 bolders at the edge of a fairly steep hill that would have surly destroyed the quad. I came out with numerous scratches on my left side and I'm 99% sure I had a fractured hip. Never went to the doctor to get it looked at. Took about 2 weeks to walk and bend over without serious pain. Took about 3 months before there was no pain at all.

Jennifer, you take a beating and keep on ticking.

Quick Reply: Have you been injured riding a quad?