Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Need Help Jetting YFZ!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Jetting YFZ!!

As some know, I wanted the GYT-R, but got sent the Dynojet. So I installed it to see how it would do. It had a stage 1 and stage 2 recommendations and came with 10 main jets. I went stage 2, removed airbox lid, inserted a pro-flow system with K&N and outerwear using dynojets recommendations which are their needle with e-clip in 5th groove, dj142 main, and 2.5 out on fuel screw. I did this and almost thought it was running lean cause the plug still looked like the stock jetting with a little more white than tan. So I ended up going to the biggest jet they gave me which is a dj150. The plug reads more tan, but still shows a hint of white close by. Temp here is 32 degrees F. With the fattest jet, the quad absolutely hauls. Doesn't miss a beat anywhere in the powerband and just bam, there is the power. The header glows at high rpms, but it did that anyway. My question is, should I leave it be since it runs hard, or should I get bigger jets to try and get it to read rich so I can fine tune?? Anyone else using dynojet on their YFZ?

Old 11-26-2003, 11:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I already told you want I would of done in your last jetting post and it would have been better for $25 dollars less. Your lean.

Old 11-27-2003, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, by the way Jerry was talking, I figured he'd get a different quad. I'm thinking of just trashing the dyno kit, or make alba take it back, since I originally ordered the GYTR and they fudged up. I think I'll take your advice SixSixT. Can anyone else confirm that the GYTR needle is the same as teh YZ needle? Not that I don't trust you, but you said it without total confidence in my last post.

Old 11-27-2003, 12:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I've looked at a few other forums and am sure the GYT-R needle is the same as a stock YZ needle. I hesitate to tell anyone for certain unless I've seen it with my own eyes. Here's a quote from a trusted sorce:
The GYT-R needle is an overpriced YZ bike needle, which is an off the shelf OEM Keihen needle and can be bought cheaply elsewhere, Bob at Magnolia will confirm that. FCR 39 needle: NCVQ

Old 11-27-2003, 06:33 AM
Trailblazer

too lean

get rid of the dynojet if ya cant get it working, Dynojets blow jmo

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-27-2003, 10:03 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BartlettRacing
pud

jerry just got One!!! of his new wheelers today !!! it is sweet !!!!! and the new 450 honda is comming

just trying to remember,, was Jerry the one that owned the Suzi with the motor built by you?

Old 11-27-2003, 10:29 AM
Pro Rider

Why didn't Jerry like his Z (besides the fact it left him stranded on the course a couple times)? I thought he was going after the new TRX 450 for next season. Either way, next year will be a blast in A class. I know you showed some lack of interest in the scrambles this year Bart, but you gotta come to a couple just for kicks and giggles...so Does modquad, even though he wants to pursue the drag racing circuit now!! LOL! Hey, if you still have those front rims, I'll think I'll buy them from you. Unless you're hard to get them sold, I could just buy them from you at the banquet...how does that sound?

SixSixT, thanks for your help. The dyno jet is gonna go back to it's home and I'll order that needle, and a 160, 165, 168, 170, 172, 45, and 48. That should do me. Why 160 you ask? IF it's a muddy race, I'm gonna slap the lid on real quick, and I think the 158 was a tich lean to start with, unless you guys think it will run the 165 with the lid on? Did you order these parts right off the YZ450F page on the yamaha parts book as well??

Old 11-27-2003, 10:48 AM
Pro Rider

[i] Why 160 you ask? IF it's a muddy race, I'm gonna slap the lid on real quick, and I think the 158 was a tich lean to start with, unless you guys think it will run the 165 with the lid on? Did you order these parts right off the YZ450F page on the yamaha parts book as well??
I tried that little test with a 45 pilot. 4th clip on the GYT-R needle and a 165 and when putting the lid on I got alot of sputter on the upper RPM range. You may try a 162 if they make it. I'd also get the 160 as you have mentioned.

Old 11-27-2003, 11:01 AM
Pro Rider

What does the actual GYTR kit recommend for jetting and clip position. Just so I have something to go on since I'm not buying their instructions!?

Old 11-27-2003, 11:29 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: pudljumpr
Did you order these parts right off the YZ450F page on the yamaha parts book as well??
The part # I gave you before is the yamaha #. You can also get the needle from any keihen dealer, NCVQ needle for a 39mm FCR either way it should be 10 to 13 bucks.

Quick Reply: Need Help Jetting YFZ!!