Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak rear brake rotor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 11:38 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kodiak rear brake rotor replacement

Have any of you 2000-2002 Kodiak owners ever replace your rear brake rotor? Bro-in-law's 2000 Kodiak rear rotor really messsed up, and needs replacing. Looks to me that the axle will need to be removed to allow the rotor dics to be removed. What kind of job is this? Or, should we just take to the dealer shop? Any info would be great!

Old 12-02-2003, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider

Can't say for sure on a Kodiak but my Wolvy after ya take the hub, caliper and caliper mount you can slide it of the axle. You don't need to take the axle out. One thing to watch for is the allen bolts that hold the rotor disc to it's hub, They are installed with thread locker and usually they need to be heated to melt the thread locker loose. Hope this helps ya out. You also could look at the parts diagram online at Riva Yamaha or other sites.

Old 04-18-2005, 01:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Dude! I am encountering the same problem. I am trying to replace my damaged disc rotor and cannot remove the hub. I bought a Craftsmen 8 1/2 ton puller and it wouldn't budge it. I tightened it up and beat on the damned thing and ended up breaking the puller. What did you finally do to remove your hub?

Old 04-18-2005, 02:03 PM
Trailblazer

I've replaced my rear rotor twice. You don't have to remove the axle. Your thinking too hard on this. Remove the rear tire, brake caliper and then the bolts that hold on the rotor. It's rather simple, really. The Kodiaks' rear brake sucks. The newer models have a shield that keeps dirt from getting into the pads, which prematurely wears out the pads and rotor. If you keep an eye on the pads and clean the brake after every ride you will cut down on the wear. But sooner or later you'll have to replace the rotor.

Good luck.

Mark.

Old 04-18-2005, 02:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

The disc is behind the hub. I have ot remove the hub first. How did you remove the hub? The outer hub that the wheel bolts to came right off. It is the disc hub that is giving me fits. I cannot pull it off. Does the axle have to come off first?

Old 04-18-2005, 10:33 PM
Trailblazer

My bad. I'm looking at the manual. The outer hub, called the wheel hub, and the inner hub, called the brake disc bracket, which the rotor is mounted to, both slide off of the axle. But you do not have to take off the axle. You should be able to see the diagram on a website that has parts for sale. Locktite the four bolts that hold the rotor to the brake disc bracket, a new cotter pin and lithium grease on the axle spine to help the two hubs slide on. Oh yea, torque the four bolts for the rotor to 22 ft.-lbs and axle nut to 110 ft.-lbs. I hate to ask the obvious, but, you did take the brake caliper off too? Otherwise, I don't know why it won't slide off.

Good luck

Old 04-18-2005, 10:51 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks guys! Took care of the issue last summer before our trip out to that Hatfield/McCoy trails in West Virginia. Everything came apart extremely easy and was a piece of cake. Thanks for the support!

Old 04-19-2005, 09:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

I recently bought mine from a co-worker. He has had it since it was new. He has never done one single thing to it, including wash it good. This is probably why there is corrosion on the splines and the hub won't just slide off. I am telling you it is stuck good. I used a good puller and a big hammer and it hasen't budged. I have managed not to damage the axle up to this point but the rotor hub has been pecked on a few times. I ordered the service manual and should get it in a few days. It may give me an alternate solution. We will see. I might even put a little heat on it too. Anyway, thanks for your input.

Mike