Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor locked up today!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 12:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor locked up today!!!!

Well after work I am gonna pull the plastic off and start pulling covers, I will let you guys know what I find out. hopefully its the timing chain or something and not the tranny or anything to major.

Old 12-15-2003, 12:45 PM
Range Rover

Check the gear on the starter. I had that happen to a car of mine. The gear broke and lodged itself in the flywheel so the car wouldnt turnover or even move without the clutch pushed in(trying to pushstart it).

Old 12-15-2003, 09:44 PM
Trailblazer

carl,
you might want to start wearing gear when you ride.that was a nasty gash and may have been prevented.i also noticed the wheelie without wearing a helmet.skulls split easy.i dont want to sound like your dad but as a fellow rider to fellow rider lets keep the statistics down so they dont outlaw the sport completely.its bad enough with all the other excuses the non riders have to stop riding off road.

Old 12-15-2003, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

Don't worry, ever since the gash I won't ride without a helmet!!!

I looked at everything I could today, pulled the cover on the starter side and everything was ok there. I just got done pulling the motor out. Looking in the spark plug hole with a flashlight, the top of the piston looks black and looks like some gashes in it, but its really hard to tell looking in that little hole. The top half of the valves looks ok, but I won't know anymore till I tear more down. I have the engine in my shop at work so I will start to tear it down very soon. It has to be something in the piston/rod, valve area so far, tranny seems fine, but only time will tell know. I hope it is the piston at this stage, its a good excuse to say 686 time!!!

Old 12-16-2003, 04:50 PM
Pro Rider

well I looked at the engine a little more today in what time I could at lunch. Pulled the valve cover and everything what fine in there. Then I pulled the clutch cover and everything looked fine there. I pulled out the clutch disk and could then spin the tranny side but not the engine side and I could change gears, but everything from the clutch baslet up was still frozen soild. I could see the rod a little bit and it looks ok. I guess I am gonna have to pull the head totally off next, still can't pin point it yet. There was oil everywhere and there are no pieces floating around anywhere that I have been so far.

Old 12-16-2003, 05:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I would look at your valves real close then, a buddy of mine had one of his valves break in half right at the clip that holds it above the spring. It fell into the cylinder and messed up alot of ****, including two more valves. If you have one of those small eye scopes to look into the cylinder thru the spark plug hole? Just a suggestion.

Old 12-16-2003, 05:47 PM
Pro Rider

The valves appear fine looking from the top half and looking into the intake and exhast ports. I can see that they are in one piece anyways.

Old 12-17-2003, 03:45 PM
Pro Rider

Last time I had something like this, it was on my quadsport. I couldn't spin the wheel anymore. It was the lower rod bearing that seized the rod. I needed to buy new bearings, rebalance the crankshaft and install a new rod.

Keep Us Informed

Old 12-17-2003, 04:11 PM
Pro Rider

Thats what I think happened, but I still don't have it fully torn down yet, there are no shavings and the piston and rod look to be in one piece so I think it did just seize. I'll let you all know when I get that far.

Old 12-17-2003, 05:29 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah My rod was still in really nice shape. No cracks. Was only a bearing [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] . I think it happened because I came short on oil about 2 months before.

Quick Reply: Raptor locked up today!!!!