Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor locked up today!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 06:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor locked up today!!!!

Well I went out riding today and everything was going great. I let my brother ride and about 10 minutes later I heard it stall in the background. I went over there and he said it just quit, tried to start it and nothing. I put it in neutral and pushed it to my truck, took out the spark plug and tried to start it, again nothing. Then I put it in gear and tried to turn it over by hand and it won't budge forward or backwards. Then I took it home and the last thing I tried was turning the engine over from the crank from the timing covers on the side and it won't budge there either. Its freezing out and getting dark so I came in and gave up for now. Something is not right for sure and the engine won't move at all, the tranny seems fine, I can switch from neutral to first no problems, seems like a piston area problem. Any way I could be lucky and its not something to major?? One way maybe??? I am gonna go back out and put the drain plug soon and see what comes out of there. What a bad day so far!!!!!

Old 12-14-2003, 06:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Hmmm....you might be getting a 686 real soon. LOL

So it's not that bad unless you are short on $$$.

Sorry to hear about the lock up.

Old 12-14-2003, 06:42 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, thats the first thing I thought what 686!!!

Here is an update: pulled the drain plug out and there was oil in it and they were no shavings. I really don't know what it is. I also pulled the little cover by the timing chain and I could see the chain was still on the top sproket, so I will have to wait and get it somewhere with heat and tear into it alittle more.

Old 12-14-2003, 06:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

My God!?!?!! That pic of your leg is not a pretty picture. LOL

But anyway, get a heater in that garage and get that sucker apart. LOL. I'm going to tough the cold tomorrow and tinker on my Raptor tomorrow.

Old 12-14-2003, 07:03 PM
Pro Rider

I will, I toughed it today riding for a few hours, it just ended bad, I will wait till the urdge to take the hammer to it goes away [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-14-2003, 07:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yeah, if this damn drizzle and crap would turn to snow like the rest of the northeast is getting, I would tough the cold and ride. But I'm not riding in the mud and rain. So I'll be waitin' till Wenesday or so to ride. But I'm looking forward to tinkering with the rappy tomorrow. I should probaly change my oil/filter, and change the spark plug tomorrow. But goodluck when you tear into her.

BTW....what exactly happened to your leg that split it open like that???

Old 12-14-2003, 08:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You could be lucky and its your one way. Other than that I would think it was major but I couldnt really say anything until you take it apart yourself.

Old 12-14-2003, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider

dam man that pic of ur leg is pretty nasty.. how did that feel.probably not to good a .... sorry that happend

Old 12-14-2003, 08:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I know, that's what I was saying.

Don't be eating if you check out RaptorRidr660R's pic page. The pic of his leg in there is a nasty one. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 12-14-2003, 08:33 PM
Pro Rider

got that right

Quick Reply: Raptor locked up today!!!!