Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha Raptor how much horsepower stock?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2003, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha Raptor how much horsepower stock?

Originally posted by: speeddmn
The raptor is a top heavy tub that without replacing the suspension is a horrible trail bike. A honda 400ex will smoke a raptor stock bike for stock on the trails without question and anyone who doesn't believe that has never ridden both bikes.
Are you isane? The 400ex is no where near as good a trail bike as a raptor. Raptor is not top heavy in trails, ur just too lazy too lean. The EX to me when I ride it is extremely underpowerred. And my stock Raptor spanked 400's left and right. I think your the one that hasnt ridden both bikes. Cause if you did. Your answer is ridicoulous.

-Eric-

Old 12-20-2003, 09:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The Raptor is one of the best quads built, period. The sky is the limit on a Raptor. You can build it into a drag racing monster, or a hill climbing demon. It's your choice with the Raptor.

And after you get a rappy and get it serviced and the valves adjusted, you would be looking at 36-37HP stock. Pipe it, and you have a really awesome ride. The Raptor is the only choice for trails.

Old 12-20-2003, 09:27 PM
Range Rover

Nobody has answered my question of the original post.Stock Raptor HP?????????Thanks

Old 12-20-2003, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider

Yamaha660R just did.

-Eric-

Old 12-20-2003, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

Cavaselis,

Most ATVers will tell you the best trail (dune, jumping, etc) quad is the one they own. I own a 400ex and am partial to it. However, the Z400 or KFX400 may be a better choice for you. Both have reverse (same quad essentially) and handle pretty decent on the trails from what I have read. Depending on where you ride, the reverse may come in very handy. In my opinion, the raptor does not handle the trails as well, especially the trails which are very aggressive and technical - I didn't have to own one to find this out, just had to ride one.

Here's the best Idea, test ride each quad at the dealer and perform various turns, stops, corners etc, see what quad is going to handle best for you. Better yet, if you have friends with these types of quads, maybe they will let you give them a spin.

There is no doubt the Raptor has considerably more power than the 400ex, z400 or KFX400. It just doesn't handle the trails as well.

Let the bashing begin.

Old 12-20-2003, 10:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

36-37 Stock HP after you get the valves adjusted, and all that good stuff after the first service.

Someone commented awhile back that a Raptor right off the showroom floor dyno'd at 30HP. But that was before it was run, and serviced. Getting the vavles adjusted is a big deal, and definetly helps. So after the first service, your looking at 36 or 37.

Old 12-21-2003, 12:26 AM
Pro Rider

it all depends on what kind of trail riding, like someone said one person favors one quad and some else favors another. i know for a fact that a 400ex could spank a rappy in some trails. BTW im not trying to start anything but you raptor owners need to understand that a raptor isnt the ultimate quad and that it isnt better than everyone elses

Old 12-21-2003, 03:45 PM
Range Rover

Well let's see how many raptors versus 400ex's do you see racing GNCC or MX or motorcross I would say about 10 to 1 on the 400 side now if you don't think that a 400ex handles better why do they use them more for this style of racing?

Old 12-21-2003, 04:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

LOL....comparing a 400ex to a Raptor is like comparing a 2.2L to a 460. The only thing a EX can do stock vs. stock is out handle a Raptor. But if you lower a Raptor in the front and back you have the same if not better handling for trails. Jumping is a no-no, but trail riding and hill climbing the Raptor will stomp the 400. And everyone know's the Raptor is twice as fast, twice as powerful, and so on and so on.

Old 12-21-2003, 04:19 PM
Pro Rider

Exactly.. And a Raptor can also jump perfectly fine. In Huevos yes you did see more 400''s because they are easier to jump. But did you see what Sheldon Riggs did with a STOCK Raptor? That should answer your question. In 6 Sheldon jumps a modded out Raptor and goes bigger than the modded out 400's [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

-Eric-

Quick Reply: Yamaha Raptor how much horsepower stock?