Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine Tire Concern

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2000, 07:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys. I'm new to this posting stuff but have enjoyed reading all your posts for the past few months. I have a 2000 Wolverine and totally love the bike. However, as many of you already know, the stock tires are terrible! I must have 15 plugs in my tires already and the bike is only about 5 months old! All but one of my tires has hole(s) in them. Anyway, back to the question. I'm very happy with the size of the tires (23") and see no real reason to go any larger. The tires I really like only come in 25". I have two concerns with putting them on. I don't want to make the Wolverine too unstable (top heavy) for trail riding and also the lack of low end torque trying to turn 25" tires. How much of a difference will the 2" tire height make concering these two issues? Also, I am considering some simple mods (ie, fmf pipe, K&N filter, etc.) Any recommendations you guys could give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 06-26-2000, 09:19 AM
Range Rover

I put 25" swampers tsl's on my 96 wolverine and I love the tires.( 25x 9.5x12 and 25x12.5x12). The biggest problem I've had is the lack of power. I think the weight of the tires is most of it. I have been debating on putting 25x 9.5x 12 vampires on the back to get rid of some of the weight. Your only going to gain 1" in actual height and you'll never notice it. I've lifted the back of mine 1 1/2" to help with the ground clearance and I still havn't had any problems. What kind of tires are you wanting to get?

Old 06-26-2000, 09:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

Asfastasu, thanks for your reply. As I suspected it seams like the lack of low end power is the big problem with running 25" tires. Like you said, you're only raising the bike 1" in reality. Unfortunately, there aren't a whole lot of options on tires when replacing the stock tires with the same size tire, especially if you're looking for an aggressive tire tread. The front runners for me right now are the Titan 489. They are fairly aggressive and 4 ply. My wife has these on her machine, a Polaris, (can I say that bad word here?) and we've been pretty satisfied with them. If I jump to 25" tires, the Goodyear Mudrunners are my first choice right now. I'd kind of like to keep the Wolverine a little more on the sporty side so I'd have to say I'm leaning towards the titans right now. I figure those tires with a few mods will help the bike gain some low end. I've have stopped in deep mud a few times and the machine struggles to get the tires spinning again, almost like you're trying to start out in 3 gear or something. I should also mention that I mainly ride with a Warrior and Scrambler 500 2x4. I'm not looking to keep up with them in a drag race, but having a little more low end power will help when we're flying around on those twisting trails. I do get a chuckle though when we find a mud hole and those guys try to navigate around it. Gotta love that 4X4!

Old 06-26-2000, 10:27 AM
Pro Rider

what about maxxis sur-traks? They are a good mud tire.

Old 06-26-2000, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

Split the differance and buy 24" Mud Shark have 24" tires that may work for you.

Old 06-27-2000, 12:45 AM
Range Rover

i have 25 inch tires on my wolverine u can tell a loss in lowend alittle bit but it makes up for it and if ur gonna do those mods it will bring all ur lowend and some up get supertrap ids2 its bettter than fmf cause it has internal disks

Old 07-01-2000, 11:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm running 27x10 bi-claws in the front and 27x tri-claws in the rear, with K&N filter and jet kit, DG exhaust, ATV locker and a lift kit. As far as trouble with it being top heavy, it is a little but not to bad, plan on putting spacers on mine next. And as for being able to turn the tires, if you dill out the fly weights in the clutches it'll take care of that problem, the only time mine won't turn them is n that thick gumbo type mud.

Old 07-03-2000, 08:26 PM
Trailblazer

I just mounted some 25" Bear Claws this weekend. Didn't notice any power lose. Only engine mods are a wiesco piston and uni air filter. The ground clearence I gained was very noticeable. I love the tires. Best add on I ever bought for the thing. Well worth the money, I got a great deal on them to $222.00