Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior flooding out at high rpm

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2000, 01:51 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went riding mine pretty hard yesterday and after goin like that just a little bit it died on me. It'll idle fine, but as soon as I start to give it over 1/4 throttle it starts sputtering on me. If I pull the choke on all the way I might be able to get to half throttle, but that's it. I rode it for a while like that but it never got any better. It's pretty old and the guy I got it from didn't take care of it. Any help would be appreciated, I can't afford the cycle shop.

Old 06-26-2000, 12:53 PM
Range Rover

I have a 99 warrior and it is doing the same thing. I tried everything but i havn't checked my main jet yet.

Old 06-26-2000, 02:02 PM
Pro Rider

That happened (sorta) with my Blaster. I had no idea what it was, then someone suggested that I check out my breather hose and look for a kink. It was kinked, so I unkinked it, and POOF! Fixed.
It can't be kinked, otherwise your gas tank is letting fuel into your carb in the same way that you try and pour gas from a gas can without opening the little cap for air to go in.
Not sure if thats your problem or not, but its a quick, not to mention, EASY, fix. Cheap too.

Old 06-26-2000, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After following all the previous tips I'd pull the carb & spray some carb or brake cleaner into all the jets bowl, etc. then blow the entire thing with compressed air, check the float level, check the boots for weather cracks, & reassemble. You might check your jet needle for proper position (#3). If all this fails to correct the problem, it would seem to be a worn jet needle, considering that it is an older machine. The needle and/or the slide receives constant wear & will fail to meter the gas/air flow if worn. Given the rpm range you have the trouble, that's the operating range of the needle jet.

Old 06-26-2000, 09:45 PM
Range Rover

I experienced that same problem on a two month old Warrior. We went riding at an elevation aproximately 3500 ft higher than usual. It turned out that the gas / air mixture was messed up.
I suggest that you first clean the AIR FILTER using a good filter cleaner ($6 at the shop) and then reoil it using real air filter oil ($5), (using gasoline and regular motor oil is NOT a good idea). If you spend the $12, you will have enough for several cleanings and the motor you save might be your own! I don't know if this will solve your problem, but it won't cost much to find out and besides, you can never keep your filter too clean!

Old 06-28-2000, 01:25 AM
Trailblazer

I halfway took it apart and looked insided and noticed a lot of crud up top, but none where it would hurt. I think I'm going to have to break it all the way down and give a good cleaning and reassembling. How do I adjust the needle? I'm not exactly sure what everyone means by rejetting the carb. A K&N jet kit isn't available for mine, what does that mean? Thanks...

Old 06-28-2000, 01:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The nominal position for the jet needle is the 3rd position. I'd guess you're at sea level so that should be right on. While you're at it take the main jet out & make sure it is free of any speck of dirt or varnish from old fuel. Check the size engraved on the top. It should be a 145, which is stock.

Old 06-29-2000, 12:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 99warrior Ichanged my rear brake apds and when i got done mine wouldnt rev past a 1/4 throttle
when i turned the handlebars one way it would rev fine
it turned out to be a switch for the e-brake
was trigger because the mount at the rear caliper
was broke and the cable wasnt tight

Old 06-29-2000, 12:41 AM
Trailblazer

After sitting for a day I cranked it today and it revved right up like nothing was ever wrong. Well, I rode it for a few minutes and all the sudden it did the same crap again. After sitting a for about half an hour it ran fine again. I loaded it on up and came back. While it was acting up I adjusted the idle up and it revved all the way up. It seems it's just the throttle that does it. HELP!

Old 06-29-2000, 01:02 PM
Trailblazer

I don't understand. What would your brake have to do with how it revved? Do you mean the parking brake? If so how did you fix it?