Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

how make a good jump

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how make a good jump

gonna take a shovel, lot o dirt.. but if you want a 10' jump or a jump that will thorow u 10' out?? 10' high? to though

10' high make it about 4ft high w/ a big lip

to make it to ghouth you 10' about 3-5ft high w/ no real lip.. and it it slow and work your way up you dont want it to tought you high just far unless u have a landing.. then it could hurt...

i have about a 5ft high jump and it thorows me about 15-25ft or so depends on how fast i hit it.. soon as it thaws im gonna work on the landing.. make a table-top type landing so i can land on a flat or make it on a incline.. works better for jumps were u can jump 10ft up to like 25ft or so.. makes it easer on the quad.. i think in my photos were are pix of my 10-15ft doulbe not my big one. it mibht be in the links in the info..

Old 01-09-2004, 11:02 PM
Pro Rider

Me and a friend made mine out of dirt from a field, 2 shovels and a wheel barrow last year. It was a blast to jump and we got some air, but only short wheelbased qauds could jump it lol, blasters 300exs, the raptor youd have to pull the front end up right as you hti the jump, we could have made it longer lol.

Old 01-09-2004, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Flynbryan
Man your gonna be shovelin' like an inmate if you want to make a 10' tall jump with just a shovel, and a wheel borrow. lol I'd say anything more than 2', and your going to be praying for a bobcat, or backhoe. Nothing wrong with building your own jumps. Its just that if you want something that big your going to need more than just man power. As for the jump itself. You want to make sure it has a nice smooth angle to it. Atv's don't like kicker jumps. It will rebound your rear end over your head before you even know what hit you. Good luck. I trick we used to do that worked good was put a 2' or so tall lip right at the top of a hill. Man, we'd really launch of those things.

lol, I think he meant a 10 foot gap, mostly because he said "nothing big" unless he's in the huevos movies. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-09-2004, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

one thing you need to make sure you do is have the jump long enough. For example, you dont want a jump that when your front tires are already in the air the back tires are just coming onto the ramp. It will be alot harder to jump and land right and not very much fun.

Old 01-09-2004, 11:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Punker660
For like $60 bucks rent a Bobcat and make 10 jumps in one day. It' s defenitely worth the money. When you get better rent a backhoe and make them bigger. Atv's can handle lips just not huge kickers, start small, learn how to jump first. Believe it or not, It's more than just launching your quad off a hill.
60 bucks... DAM!!!! 175 up here... and you gotta have a 3/4 ton truck w/ electric brakes before they let you take it!

Old 01-12-2004, 09:44 AM
Pro Rider

no i mean 10 feet long not high what all do i need to make a jump reach 10 feet long to the landing how much dirt and any thing else

Old 01-12-2004, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider

You will need a Machine! At least a Bobcat! A bobcat is only capable of moving 1/2 a yard of dirt per scoop. A bull dozer is way more practical but, a full day w/ a Bobcat could get you a few decent jumps.

Concentrate on the landing ramps!!!! Without good landing ramps you will only enjoy all your hard work on the jump a few times before your in the Hospital getting Screws in your knees and, ankles. You want a landing ramp on an angle that is at least the length of your quad and, should be more. Anything over 5 feet of air High of the jump is going to require a landing ramp of some sort to relieve the shock. Trust me i've hit a jump some kids made and, landed on flat ground from 6 ft or so in the air (not good). From even 5-6 feet you will case your quad and, could hurt your self.

Old 01-12-2004, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider

just look i ump over my driveway because its a nice ramp and stuff i get about 15 feet high but yu can look to see if there is a smaller jump near you