Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

'04 Grizzly carb problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2004, 05:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '04 Grizzly carb problem

I have a just-about brand new Grizzly. Took it into the dealer a few days ago because it was idling way too fast and idle screw adjustment didn't do anything. Picked it up last night but was in a hurry so didn't run it around to make sure everything was squared away (...big mistake...). Rolled it into my garage and today went to take it out for a spin but couldn't even keep it running. "Starts" but then sputers, coughs, backfires and appears to be running SUPER rich regardless of what I do with the choke. I have to "feather" the throttle to keep it from stalling but if I give it any more than that is when all the rough stuff starts. When I turned it off it backfired as loud as a shotgun.....seriously. Had to winch it up into the back of my pickup to take back to the dealer but, fortunately, I called first and they're closed until Monday.

Thanks for any advice on what I may be able to do myself to get this thing running right. I don't know exactly what they did but it seems obvious to me that the carb is not set right. If it's not obvious, I have limited knowledge about engines....but I'm teachable!

Old 01-10-2004, 10:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

TTT

Old 01-11-2004, 01:52 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Actually it seems to be too lean, by your discription. Especially the backfiring. Sounds like they adjusted the idle mixture screw. as long as youre taking it back in to the dealer, you got nothing to lose by trying to adjust this yourself. Try 1/4 turn out, from where it is now, if it gets better, go abit more.

Old 01-11-2004, 01:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

My thinking that it was too rich was based on the fact that the exhaust is now oil-filled to the point of leaving big oil stains wherever it contacts. I'll try messing with the idle mix screw a bit and see if I can get it dialed in. Are there any other ways to adjust the mix other than just that screw? Thanks for the help.

Old 01-11-2004, 02:07 PM
Elite Pro Rider

After rereading, im thinking the cable for the throttle was adjusted too tight, not enough slack...because the idle adjustment screw wouldnt do anything,
there are three circuits in your carb, and each are adjusted differently. There is the pilot, or idle circuit, which is adjusted with the mixture screw.
carb
There is a midrange, which is adjusted with the jet needle, and clip position.
Then there is the high speed, which the main jet adjusts.
There shouldnt be oily residue, in the exaust..probably its unburned gas.
Make sure the choke(enrichener) is going off.
They might have adjusted the float level, if the floats are set too high, itll be too rich.
Let me know what you find out.

Old 01-12-2004, 08:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well, I'm not sure what the heck was going on Saturday but I couldn't get it to start at all yesterday so I pulled the spark plug and it was fouled terribly. I changed that and then got it running. With the idle adjust I was able to get it pretty well dialed in. I'll know more when I have some time to run it around hard but it seems to idle fine now, no backfiring, and no oily residue in the exhaust like on Saturday. Thanks for the advice.

Old 01-12-2004, 02:27 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Happy to hear you got it going.
Bowslam, got a question for you, Im thinking of getting an automatic quad for the wife, and was thinking of polaris or Yami.I have another post on this, but not much response, anyway...one thing i was wondering about, and i know a polaris wont, but will a yami with ultramatic, push start? If you put it in low or high, and have another quad pull or push you, will the motor turn over?

Old 01-12-2004, 05:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

That's a good question. I honestly don't know. One thing I can tell you is a PIA on my automatic grizzly is the pull-start. I can't get that thing pulled. Someone recently told me there's a technique where you have to slowly pull the cord like 90% out, then let it recoil to about 25% from all the way back in, then (somehow) the compression relaxes and you can yank it. All I know is that trying to start it like a snowmachine is a killer....and plain-old doesn't work. As far as compression starting it, I'll have to give it a try. What has the dealer told you about that??

Old 01-12-2004, 06:06 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Havent asked a dealer, yet. Sometimes what you here there isnt all that reliable. Id rather have someone whos tried it, tell me. The guys at work were saying because the belt is always tight on the pulleys, itll push start. I know a polaris wont, but their belt drive is different from yami.

Old 01-12-2004, 06:10 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I make it a point to use the pull starter, every 4 or so starts. Keeps it working, and lets me know when its not. Id hate to be out in the woods and have to rely on it, and have it broke. On my 450 honda, i pull it out slowly until i feel the compression, then firmly pull it the rest of the way, and im amazed at how easily it starts. Not sure if it has a compression release or not.