Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee Throttle Responce

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 09:45 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Banshee Throttle Responce

Hey, I have a 87 banshee with the mods below and I dont know if all banshees are like this but when I am moving at like 3-5 mph and
hit the throttle it bogs and then hits the power band and takes off, like I have way to much top end. If I switched down to a smaller front sprocket would that help far as once you hit the throttle it takes off. My current gearing is 14:42 and was wondering what would be better
a 12:42 or 13:42, I do mostly trail riding in tight places and climb hills.

Old 01-18-2004, 09:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

from what i have seen... all shees have a very slight bog when you nail it... it needs that quater second to catch up with itself.

btw.. a boost bottle is supose to help with that... but who really knows if they work...

Old 01-19-2004, 01:26 AM
Pro Rider

ive never heard anything too great about boost bottles. but as for the gearing, for tight trails id go for 12:42, the less teeth up front and the more teeth in the back, the lower your speed is. my shee has a little bit of the same symptoms, and its really just because its geared so high, when you let the clutch out it wants to get the wheels spinning to a higher speed than most bikes, so at really low speeds you have to have the clutch partially engaged so it can slip or you need to apply more throttle while engaging. also, if you want to slow down even more to make the trail riding easier, id downgrade to 20' tires instead of 22's.

Old 01-19-2004, 09:12 AM
Range Rover

What you described is what Banshees are known for: all top end and nothing on the bottom. I also do trail riding and the lack of bottom end (yes, it feels like its bogging) can make it a real challenge. Stick with 22's, they give some much needed ground clearance. I have a 12 tooth front and it helps, but you also have to shift a lot more. A 2 to 1 carb and manifold is also supposed to help get some bottom end back.

Colby

Old 01-19-2004, 09:13 AM
Range Rover

I also noticed you're running 34mm carbs! Bad choice for trail riding. Those make good top end, but kill you on the bottom end!

Colby

Old 01-19-2004, 09:45 AM
Range Rover

Ok thanks guys right now I only have enough money to gear it down I am going to go with a 12:42. I believe that will help alot
but I really appreciate yall for helping me and also glad the bogging part on take off is not just my banshee. THANKS

Old 01-19-2004, 05:04 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Hozed
from what i have seen... all shees have a very slight bog when you nail it... it needs that quater second to catch up with itself.

btw.. a boost bottle is supose to help with that... but who really knows if they work...
I dont mean to be a dick hozed, but I see you posting alot about banshees, when you dont even have one. It doenst take any time for the Banshee to catch up to it self, thats just the way the engine is. have u ever seen a dyno graph of one? It has NO power until about 5k rpms, and going 3-5 mph is much less than 5000k rpms. I would know about low end problems because I have 17/40 gearing and I still ride trails. Although I have 29.5 mm carbs where as he has 34's.

BUT ANYWAYS, I think that your 12:42 gearing would be way to low. You are going to be rapping out the gears really fast and it will seem like a world of difference from the 14 tooth front you had. Go with 13. But thats just my opinion. I bought a boost bottle for cheap and if you pair that with reed spacers, it might improve the low end. I noticed a SLIGHT improvement on low end with these 2 things.

-Nick

Old 01-19-2004, 05:10 PM
Range Rover

With 14 being stock I agree 1 tooth down is plenty. However, when you factor in the effect the 22's have on gearing, a 12 tooth with 22's is pretty much the same as a 13 tooth with factory size tires (20's).

I could be wrong, but maybe Hozed had a Banshee in the past, and although currently rides a Raptor, still has knowledge on Banshees. I now have a Banshee and Warrior, but can offer great insight into Blasters...having rebuilt the motor Macdizzy style before selling it over a year ago. Then again, maybe he's just talking smack and doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. What do I know...

Colby
(needs a 2 page signature listing all toys and mods)

Old 01-19-2004, 05:16 PM
Range Rover

Whoa, cool...it backdated all my sigs with my new one.

Old 02-08-2004, 08:52 AM
Pro Rider

ny banshee doesnt bog at all and i have only got the T-5s

Quick Reply: Banshee Throttle Responce