Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

The truth about reeds and reed cages!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 05:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The truth about reeds and reed cages!

Ronnnnn, you are right in saying that but would you want a secret like that out. Go to www.1dirracing.com and you will find more than just two of us using them.

This company did not want to mass advertise there product, like V-Force or Boysen. They wanted word of mouth and satisfied customers to promote there products.

Old 03-14-2004, 05:29 PM
Pro Rider

that why I see em all over ebay?

Old 03-15-2004, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider

i havent had time to test more either w/ my tranny be stuck in 6th gear and all...as soon as thats fixed
i will jet up my main and get that dialed in and then again w/o my airbox cover...ill post my results

Old 03-25-2004, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider

Update: I finally recieved my parts from GRR. Now, I am waiting on parts from yamaha. A local guy is in the process of setting up a new dyno. I will be going over to test my bike as soon as he is set up. I am considering a dyno test of the V-force cages vs. G3's. He will have an air/fuel meter so it will be easy to tell what jetting will be needed with each cage. I will post the graphs.

Anyone want to chip in to pay for my dyno runs?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-25-2004, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

Well I am doing my taxes this weekend so if there is any money left over I will help with some of the dyno runs Alky.

Old 03-26-2004, 02:06 PM
Pro Rider

How much are the runs Alky?

Old 03-26-2004, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider

$65 an hour. It shouldn't take very long to do the comparison. About an hour or two. I was only kidding about donations.

I would like to do it yesterday, but I am waiting for the dyno to get setup. This is the fairest way to do a comparison, agreed? Seat-of-the-pants is very vague.

Old 04-06-2004, 04:10 PM
Pro Rider

I got to test out the V-Force Reeds that AlkyBurningX sent me, and I was not all that impressed. I removed my airbox and installed the reeds and the 2into1 K&N airfilter and just to be safe went one size bigger on my mains from 380's to 390's since I normally run the airbox with a modified lid, and it ran like cr$p and wouldn't even get into the powerband, so I jetted two sizes down to 370's and it only got alittle better so one down to 350's and finally I was able to get on the powerband but it was still to rich as it wouldn't rev all the way out, It finally liked 340's and ran good but I could not tell the difference on top end off the seat off my pants, now throttle response off the powerband was noticeable alittle better but also higher up the RPM range compared to the stock ported that come onto the powerband at a lower RPM, to make a long story short I was not all that impressed with the V-Force reeds compared to ported stock ones to me not worth $220 for these plastic reed cages may be a different story compared to non ported stock ones. Now I was really impressed with the 2 into 1 filter system as it makes removing and reinstalling the carbs for rejetting so much easier, that I order one right away.
Thanks to AlkyBurningX for letting me do some of the testing and comparing to give you guys some of info on this topic: the truth about reeds and reeds cages.

Old 04-06-2004, 04:25 PM
Elite Pro Rider

My bro switched too V-force reeds and jetted up 10 sizes on both sides. I immediately noticed more power throughout the power band. Hiw bike uses the stock intake tract and was unported at the time.

Old 04-06-2004, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider

I wish I had a set of G3's to send you Hiram for your own testing! I would to see your findings on the G3's.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: The truth about reeds and reed cages!