Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

The truth about reeds and reed cages!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 06:58 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The truth about reeds and reed cages!

Its not even just that Will is a great guy just talk to him and you will learn so much. He is probably one of the most knowledgable people I have ever talk to. The guy knows his **** and knows how to build his reeds.

Old 08-12-2004, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider

do they make g3 reeds for a scrambler 400

Old 08-16-2004, 01:05 PM
Trailblazer

The link does work. You have to be a member of planetsand.

I'm sorry to hear that you've had bad luck with the V-Force. The only problem we've ever had was on a Blaster. Went thru two sets of reeds pretty quick.

I've ran the V-Force on my Banshee for four years now with no problems.

It seems that some of you just don't want to accept real hard dyno data on a reed comparison performed on the same quad on the same dyno.

Bottom line is that the G3's didn't put out the HP of the other reeds when all were dialed in.

Regards,

Buttermilk

Old 08-16-2004, 01:54 PM
Pro Rider

Ok I went and waisted my time by registering and lookin at that crap test. EFI who the hell runs EFI. I can't except a dyno with a setup that is not carburated because well I don't run EFI and don't think that is a good example to base judging a set of reeds. I guess I just don't know enough about EFI on a banshee or any ATV for that matter to know how it will effect reeds and if there is a better reed to run with EFI. Maybe G3's are not the best reed for EFI but thats fine you see because I don't run EFI. Here is results from another test for reeds its called a Flow Test.

1Dir G3 Power Curve Reed Assembly 71.40 CFM
Boysen Rad Valve 250cc 64.68 CFM
Honda CR/TRX/ATC25OR 6-petal 54.60 CFM
FMF 250cc & Suzuki RM250 1987-89 6-petal 53.26 CFM
V-Force 53.00 CFM*
Pyramid 51.00 CFM*
Yamaha YZ250 1989 6 petal 50.40 CFM

Gee look where V-force rank. Yeah I know these were taken from 1dirracings website and I don't expect you to believe them but I know William and I do so don't bother with coming back with "those results are crap" yadda yadda yadda. Fact of the matter is your going to believe the hype and the Dyno that I am not going to believe. I have dealt with both reeds and can tell you your getting hosed by V-Force but then your going to come back with "Your full of it" yadda yadda yadda. I'm fine with this and don't expect to change your opinion but don't talk **** about something you don't have experience with, Then you say "Why would I want experience with something that does not prove on that awesome Dyno" yadda yadda yadda. Well because if you want to talk **** about something then atleast have experience with both sides and don't take the opion of others, not sure what you would say there, but my point is I'm not changing your mind and your definatly not changing my mind so lets call this a done deal and end this. Hopefully someday you will race someone with G3's and will see for youself.

Old 08-16-2004, 03:03 PM
Trailblazer

Well, I sure didn't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers. I simply wanted to direct attention to an apples to apples comparison.

The point of the dyno is that it compares the reeds on the same motor with the same EFI on the same dyno. EFI simply makes setting the A/F ratio correctly a lot easier than jetting carbs...., and the A/F ratio is critical to making direct comparisons. I know that EFI can make more power than carbs, but all of the reeds had the EFI system, so it doesn't make the dyno comparison any less valid.

Furthermore, flow comparsons are just that. Flow comparisons under specific conditions. I don't doubt the validity of those numbers. I've seen them before. The real test is, and should be, performed on a motor. After all, that's where the reeds perform the function of feeding the fuel mixture to the motor, and the motor itself could very well be the limiting factor on air flow (a motor is just an air pump...).

Where do you get the idea that I'm taking the opinion of another? A dyno generates numbers. Data, not opinion.

All that being said, I could care less if my reeds are VForce or any other brand. I just want the ones that perform the best on my motor. So far, I haven't seen any hard data, whether it be dyno numbers or time slips, to suggest that anyone makes a reed cage that performs better than the one I currently run.

I'd put my motor up against a similarly modded motor running G3's any day.

Regards,
Buttermilk

Old 08-16-2004, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider

I am going to call bs on this whole thread too. You don't go from a 280 main to a 420 main by switching out a set of reed cages. There are much better modifications to do for your money than to buy a set of reed cages for $200. Getting new cages is one of the last mods I would do. JMO.

Old 08-16-2004, 03:27 PM
Pro Rider

Well I guess I just don't understand why he would only be able to run at 85% if the G3's flow more? Sorry I just have a hard time beleiving anything unless I see it with my own eyes. I have owned both and I don't buy it. Like I said before your not going to change my mind and I'm not going to change your mind.

Roost: What would you like for proof that I am running 420's I would rip my carb out and take a picture but I don't think I would be able to capture the engraving in a picture.

To you what is a better mod for $200. I don't know of any mods that are that cheap. Exhaust $600, Ignition $300, bigger carbs $250, I guess I'm not sure where you would get a better mod many be I am not thing of something.

I am at the last of the mods for my banshee until I start in on the motor. I bought a 2003 off the showroom floor and have put onto it Toomey TR-6, Toomey 2-1 Air filter, G3 Reeds and spacers, 1Dirracing Thrust bottle, Mikuni 28mm carbs, Dyna Ignition. I really don't see any other mods I can do without opening the motor which will be done once the motor needs a rebuild. If you can think of away to prove that i am running 420's then let me know I would be willing to do whatever within my means.

Old 08-16-2004, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Banshee2003
Well I guess I just don't understand why he would only be able to run at 85% if the G3's flow more? Sorry I just have a hard time beleiving anything unless I see it with my own eyes. I have owned both and I don't buy it. Like I said before your not going to change my mind and I'm not going to change your mind.

Roost: What would you like for proof that I am running 420's I would rip my carb out and take a picture but I don't think I would be able to capture the engraving in a picture.

To you what is a better mod for $200. I don't know of any mods that are that cheap. Exhaust $600, Ignition $300, bigger carbs $250, I guess I'm not sure where you would get a better mod many be I am not thing of something.

I am at the last of the mods for my banshee until I start in on the motor. I bought a 2003 off the showroom floor and have put onto it Toomey TR-6, Toomey 2-1 Air filter, G3 Reeds and spacers, 1Dirracing Thrust bottle, Mikuni 28mm carbs, Dyna Ignition. I really don't see any other mods I can do without opening the motor which will be done once the motor needs a rebuild. If you can think of away to prove that i am running 420's then let me know I would be willing to do whatever within my means.
there are alot of mods you can do for $200. port work, milling the stock head, clamp on filters, getting stock carbs bored out, taking it to a dyno to get it jetted perfect, porting the stock cages, advancing the timing 4 degrees, ect ect...

to make real power, you have to go into the motor.

Old 08-16-2004, 03:53 PM
Pro Rider

Ok well port work mill the stock head would all be motor work. Clamp on filters; I said I have Toomey 2-1 Uni Filter that is a clamp on. I have 28mm carbs stock would be 26mm so techically they are bored out. I haven't taken it to a dyno just because I have not found one that allows ATV's on it. Trust me I would love to but I live up in NH I will probably try to find a used Dyno I know I have seen them on ebay then I will have it in my garage. Advance the timing 4 Degree's; well my Dyna already does that and I don't even have to monkey around with the stator and I can swith it by the filp of 2 little swithces. I would however like to get the computer link and mess with the timing curve myself but have not had the time as of yet.

Like I said I don't want to do motor work untill the motor needs a rebuild when that time comes I will probably make it a Big Bore Stroker. Not sure yet who I am going to have do the work but that day will come.

I also have a Drag banshee that I am starting and that will be my true HP quad. That is probably a year away from being finished

Old 08-16-2004, 03:54 PM
Pro Rider

NOt if u can get the power from properly built products

Quick Reply: The truth about reeds and reed cages!