Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

The truth about reeds and reed cages!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The truth about reeds and reed cages!

It depends on how your reeds are set up. Is the tip of the reed stop have a curve and its pointing up. If so that will increase low and mid-range. You may have to go one tooth up in the front sproket.

Start off with a 300ft then 660ft.

Old 01-28-2004, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

sounds good...thanks

Old 01-28-2004, 10:59 PM
Range Rover

Not that we don't like new products,but I don't need to try something that has not proven anything yet.My pocket book is not deep enough to waste money in R&D.Everyone I know that runs V-force likes them and the majority of the motor builders recommend them.

I can understand that your having good luck with them Ernie,but whats your application?Also could you please explain the 12mm spacer they recommend running?What is the purpose of this spacer?Why do G3's need them and V-force,pyramid,and boysen don't?Why is the V-force and pyramid flow numbers not available?Are they trying to hide something?

These are all legitamate questions I asked myself when I first heard about them,That is how I based my opinions.I don't have the money to just throw away on trying a new set of unproven reedvalves.When I say unproven,I mean in the market.There not taking alot of business away from the others yet.

I especially like there advertisement.They claim with a bonestock Fmf piped Banshee and G3 reedvalves w/12mm spacer they were keeping right up with trixxed out banshees,even the ones with out of frame drag pipes.LOL

Old 01-28-2004, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider

Sheesnojoke, I as well don't have deep pockets. I just get good deals every now then on used parts. The V-Force ($298) I purchased brand new as well as the G3's ($194). The reason for the 12mm spacers is because the reeds are longer than any others. The cages will not fit without the spacers. I will be the first to tell you and everyone I gained nothing with spacers before the G3's.
All of your questions deserve answers, I don't have them. All I can say is I have noticed a hugh difference in performance. I know I am nobody by telling you this but I see it as I try it.

Old 01-28-2004, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

you need to bring your shee back up ernie so i can see for myself

Old 01-28-2004, 11:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ernie have you run this motor on a dyno and overlayed the passes to see what differences there are? or is this a seat of the pants dyno test?

Old 01-28-2004, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

I dynoed it last summer at the Aledo Nationals 63 horsepower at the rear wheels with V-Force reeds and 14/41 gearing. Now I am running 16/40 gearing at it pulls three times harder, butt dyno of course.

Dollarbillzs can tell how hard my Banshee pulls before. I will take it up there in a few weeks and let him ride it again.

Old 01-28-2004, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider

All this bother with reeds and their flow. Convert them suckers to piston port so you can take the reeds out.

Old 01-29-2004, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider

I here ya Jacklewarrior![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-29-2004, 09:55 AM
Pro Rider

The spacer makes perfect sense, this allows for longer pedals which equal more surface area but one thing to remember about the banshee's is it's main bottle neck is the transfer tunnels which feed the fresh fuel mixure up to the combustion camber, so regarless of how much a reed can flow if it is bottle necked on the way to the camber it's not helping, make sure those tunnels are open and smooth and then make sure the cases are opened up the exact same amount, and these reeds should really make a difference.

Quick Reply: The truth about reeds and reed cages!