Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

The truth about reeds and reed cages!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The truth about reeds and reed cages!

Originally posted by: Flynbryan
The pics are ok.... How about seeing the intake portion? Just looks like any other reed valve from the outside.

I can't get a picture of the inside...it's way too dark. I tried and it just looks pure black..the camera I have isnt very good

Old 01-28-2004, 07:05 PM
Pro Rider

Ernie, it almost sounds like you were paid to post this. Not only did u include a phone number, but you gave your personal "stamp of approval". Hmm..

-Nick

Old 01-28-2004, 07:24 PM
Pro Rider

Maybe it's just a good product that really has good power gains and wanted us to have the benefit of knowing about it. He's better than me, because if I were to come across something like that I'd keep it to myself for a little advantage![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-28-2004, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider

Bad freak, this forum is about sharing....j/k

Old 01-28-2004, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider

When ever I race you and your eaten my roost, then you will first hand experience that the G3's work. As for the V-Force crap thats what they are. CRAP!!!

I am using the YZ250 style reed cages for who wants to know. Also to set it staight I am not getting payed by know one. I though shareing my experiences with forum members would help us all in the long run. But I guess I am wrong!!!!!

Come down to the Aledo Nationals and I would gladly show you guys first hand how well they work.

Old 01-28-2004, 10:15 PM
Range Rover

I think the disbelief of others (as well as my own) is not on your claims, but on how you represent your claims and the lack of specificity and raw data supporting them. You say "your jet size will go up 80% if you use these reeds". That sentence just screams "snake oil".. kind of reminds me of the tornado (the propeller you put on the intake of a car, good for a 20% hp increase) and other gimmic hype. This is my concern. Take a 400cc monster motor like yours that can move some serious air and choke it with stock reeds. Yep, in that case I can see a huge gain from these reeds, arguably an 80% increase in airflow BECAUSE YOUR MOTOR CAN USE THE INCREASED AIRFLOW. The reeds are the bottleneck in the system. For most other Banshees the reeds don't become the bottleneck until many other mods are done first. So will they see an 80% increase in airflow? NO, because there are other restrictions which replacing the reeds will not address (stock exhaust, stock intake, stock porting, etc). But your claims seem to imply that anyone who slaps these reeds on will have an 80% increase in airflow. It's not going to happen. Then your attitude ("I'll roost all over you" or "you're afraid of the truth") makes you sound like a cheesy late night advertisement or third string sponsor and not an honest and legitimate testimonial to the actual potential of the product. Talking bad about a well accepted competitors product (V-Force) doesn't help your case either (now if politicians could only learn this lesson). As stated, there is a trade off for performance gains. If this reed offers so much on top, then there most likely is a huge hit on the bottom end. I doubt all the research done by other companies has failed to discover the "G3 secret" to amazing top end without any low end penalty. Seeing that you also promote a date site in your tag makes me wonder if this is just your latest "pet sponsorship". Just my $.02, not meant to insult, but to say it like I see it.

Old 01-28-2004, 10:26 PM
Pro Rider

hey ernie, should we get some data for these folks? I dont have my reeds installed yet, so I could probably do tests before and after I use these reeds. I'm not sure what will be effective though. Maybe a 300ft, 400ft and 500ft drag? all being timed of course with before and after resulting times. Or maybe there are other tests I could do to show the results? I dont have a dyno, there are no dynos around my area and anything far away is expensive.

Old 01-28-2004, 10:32 PM
Pro Rider

I might even be able to get it on video! if I can borrom my g&g's camera...a before and after with the reeds. have it show the time and etc in the pic too if the camera can do that

Old 01-28-2004, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider

Colby, I respect your opinion whole hearted. I am only sharing an experience. I have tried all other reeds and cages and the G3's blow all of them out of the water.
Speaking of V-Force grab a set and look at the intake inlet towards the jug. What do we all see, plastic blockage with two more extra reeds no increase in airflow volocity (spelling) there.

Pimp250r, yes your idea would be great as an example. If you don't see any difference in performance I will be quite and say no more about the subject.

Old 01-28-2004, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider

OK, so what would be a decent low, mid and top end distances?

Quick Reply: The truth about reeds and reed cages!