Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

The truth about reeds and reed cages!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 01:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The truth about reeds and reed cages!

They are scheduled to be here on Thursday the 19th. I am racing saturday so I might wait until sunday to play with it. I would hate to run out of gaskets or strip a bolt or something else 2 nights before a race. It also might get the best of me and I will have to mess with it anyway.

When I do the comparison, should I post it here or start a new topic?

Old 02-16-2004, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

Alky, what ever works for you , here or there. PM me with the results so I dont miss out.

Old 02-18-2004, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider

Alky post your results on this thread so I know as well.

Old 02-19-2004, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider

They're here! Just took them out of the box.

First impressions: Long reed petals, no wonder it comes with a spacer. Reeds are quite a bit harder that V-forces. I am guessing this will hurt low end. Reed tip width is no wider than V-force (but I guess they are about as wide as you can fit in a stock banshee cylinder). There is no blockage in the center like th V-force, but I think that blockage also directs airflow upward and downward for a more dispersed charge. With my setup which includes two boost ports added in on the sides of the intake ports, a downward charge would be helpful as well as sideways into the ports. I think the V-force and duncan pyrimids would have the advantage on MY setup. Quality of craftmanship looks good and I like the aluminum better than the composite V-forces. I would have used a lock washer on the reed screws or a thicker stop plate to keep the end of the screw out of the intake area. It isn't protuding down a whole lot, but if you are looking for max flow it will be enough to hinder it. The opening into the cages is a lot larger than the V-force so if they seem to help, I will look into getting intakes also.

I asked him to send me a set of the X3 reeds also. He just sent a pair for one side. What reeds are you all running? I saw there are 4 offerings for reeds. The X3's just look like the old epoxy reeds and the ones on the cages are black but I don't think they are the carbon fiber ones.

I ran by bike out of gas the other night, so I am going to try to find some more and try these out tonight.

Old 02-19-2004, 01:36 PM
Pro Rider

sweet alky, let us know how they work out for you!

Hey Ernie, did you adjust your tensioners on the reeds at all or did you leave em?

Old 02-19-2004, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider

More, more.....I'll keep checking back.

Old 02-19-2004, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider

pimp250, I have not adjusted them at all. They are still in the factory setting I recieved them in. Low to Mid Range. I have enough top end for now with 16/40 gearing on my Banshee.

Old 02-20-2004, 10:29 AM
Pro Rider

Okay, the moment we have all been waiting for.....

Well, all I have done so far is swap cages. I didn't have time to do any tuning. Remember this is with MY setup, which is drastically different than most banshees (4 added ports, 195psi compression, CPI's). Also, this is with stock banshee style cages vs. Ernie is running YZ style. I took some pics of the cages next to each other, but I couldn't find a digital camera. I will probably get more pics later and upload them or scan and upload the ones I have. I ran the reeds in the setting that they came out of the box. I was the low tension setting. Remember, V-force come set in the high tension setting, which is what mine were on. I have a 55 pilot which I know is just a little rich, but the throttle response on Passions motor is just amazing and I was afraid of losing this response by going to a 50. Also, it was running good so why fix it. I will be changing to a 50 pilot for futher testing.

From just over idle in third gear (16/39 gearing with 20"), the G3's pulled harder and the engine made it to the powerband quicker. This is most likely due to the reed setting. This motor is violent when it hits the powerband with the V-forces. The G3's calmed this down. Also, the G3's didn't seem to pull as hard when on the pipe. This once again could be due to the reed setting. My jetting seems perfect where it is at with a 165 main. If anything, it might be a hair rich. (which was my point in the first place that the G3's wouldn't drastically change your jetting). Changing to high tension might require richer jetting. Also, the small stumble that EVERY banshee has just before it hits the pipe is slightly less noticeable with the G3's. Most guys can never notice this off the dyno, but because this motor pulls so hard off the pipe, you can feel it. From a LOW idle with the V-forces, you can totally gag this motor and there is absolutely NO hesitation. Unfortunetly, I can't say the same for the G3's. I bet playing with the air screws will take some of this away though.

I guess the next step will be to try the reeds in the high tension setting which will be like the V-force setting. This will be sunday. I will post again.

Hiram, you ready to try these after I am done to give us all a second opinion?

Old 02-20-2004, 11:07 AM
Pro Rider

Alky, If he isnt , I am. Keep us posted.

THANKS

Old 02-20-2004, 12:20 PM
Pro Rider

Alky if you do not rejet it is not a fair comparison. Go down to a #50 pilot and up to a #200 main you are running very lean and could damage your engine.

Quick Reply: The truth about reeds and reed cages!