Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

How come honda builds lackluster motors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How come honda builds lackluster motors?

I got (3) Hondas and am trying to convince the boss to allow me to increase that figure.

Old 01-29-2004, 01:42 AM
Elite Pro Rider

blviper- I own 2 hondas. I bought my kid a backwards pushrod 250ex and i have a 1985 honda 250 fourtracks.

Learning to fly- This thread is not as stupid as your reply was. I was looking for people with a little more intelligentce to reply than you.

I am curious why honda designers have gone backwards instead of foreward in my opinion with there motor designs. Might as well throw in the trannys 2. A 3 speed auto?? My new crew cab doge has a 5 speed auto. I do not see realibility as the reason.

Old 01-29-2004, 01:55 AM
The Facility

The sideways engines...........

Honda's official explanation.............

1. They make more torque with the pushrod setup [Although horsepower is lower with this design......ala...Harley Davidson]
2. By eliminating a change of direction of the crankshaft, more power gets put to the ground.
3. The design makes for a lower center of gravity

All of the above is true..........although who knows if that's the REAL reason.

MY expalnantion..........
By doing this to all of their utility quads, they have basically followed the example by the Ford Motor Company.
All of these engines can be built on the same production line because they share alot of the same parts.....thus lowering the price of manufacturer.

Old 01-29-2004, 02:16 AM
Pro Rider

My old air-cooled Honda 650 in my Warrior runs right with anyone's YAMI although it's decades behind in technology, go figure-I DID ON MY END [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-29-2004, 04:10 AM
Pro Rider

Love your work 14mins

Your threads are the only ones that are really entertaining.

Old 01-29-2004, 04:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: KNOWSALOT
The sideways engines...........

Honda's official explanation.............

1. They make more torque with the pushrod setup [Although horsepower is lower with this design......ala...Harley Davidson]
2. By eliminating a change of direction of the crankshaft, more power gets put to the ground.
3. The design makes for a lower center of gravity

All of the above is true..........although who knows if that's the REAL reason.

MY expalnantion..........
By doing this to all of their utility quads, they have basically followed the example by the Ford Motor Company.
All of these engines can be built on the same production line because they share alot of the same parts.....thus lowering the price of manufacturer.

Where did you come from??? Glad to have you back none the less!!
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

14mins, you know your not supposed to make fun of Hondas. We're gonna have to put you in time out.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 01-29-2004, 04:33 AM
Pro Rider

This isn't as heated of a discussion as I thought, maybe we need airraptor back to argue with.

Old 01-29-2004, 09:50 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 14mins
blviper- I own 2 hondas. I bought my kid a backwards pushrod 250ex and i have a 1985 honda 250 fourtracks.

Learning to fly- This thread is not as stupid as your reply was. I was looking for people with a little more intelligentce to reply than you.

I am curious why honda designers have gone backwards instead of foreward in my opinion with there motor designs. Might as well throw in the trannys 2. A 3 speed auto?? My new crew cab doge has a 5 speed auto. I do not see realibility as the reason.
14mins- Look at the facts- The majority of your posts are just for bashing. My response was equally stupid as compared to the plethora of honda bashing posts. Talk a look at the forum, and all you will see by 14mins are posts that bash. You craft the information you have to support your argument/bashing. Someone calls you on it and you question their intelligence. My advice- wear a helmet.

Besides, my earlier response was very funny.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-29-2004, 12:37 PM
Elite Pro Rider

learningtocrawl- I am not impressed with your intelligence or your replies. There is a simple solution to your problem. Do not read my post. I think you singlehandedly keep texas from falling into the ocean with your abilities. (sucking)

Knowsalot- Glad to see your are back to keep Chet in line. I have read what you posted about the honda design a few years back.

Reliabilty does not seem to be a issue on any of these quads. Keep the oil changed, air cleaner clean and the valves adjusted and they run for ever.

My take on the honda underpowered is that the engineers are given paremeters to say with in. So much HP for a 400cc, 450cc 600cc and so on. They design it to last x hours and then the bean counters decide if the profit margine will work. All the manufactures know what the other guy is doing and t seems strange that honda would not like the bragging rights. I also think honda designs stuff so that the aftermarket will not provide as much for the product (motors)

Old 01-29-2004, 01:03 PM
KGB
Pro Rider

14, I think you have some good points. you and I both know that Honda, with its vast rescources, could build a rocket ship for a engine. Your thoughts about the aftermarket, and profit margins are intersting, probably mostly true as well. I wonder how much of it has to do with Honda's stance on liability and the legaleze that goes with that? They are pretty conservatice across the board, I mean even their "supercar" NSX, has a 6 cylinder. And they are proud of the fact that they have a 6 in their flagship sports car.
This is not the stlye most of us are into. I like Honda because I love the comfort, the styling, and the handlng. I learned quickly, that there is always somebody faster (richer), so a few ponies are not the end of the world to me. Besides I am 6'4" 230#, what ever I ride is going to be slower anyway, ya know?

Quick Reply: How come honda builds lackluster motors?