Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor valve adjustment went wrong!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 04:08 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor valve adjustment went wrong!!!

I tried to adjust my valves on my 03 Raptor after reading Raptortranny.com instuctions.
I turned the crank counter clockwise until the intake rockers went down the watched for timing mark l. Then adjusted valves to the specs. I had to really open them up to be in spec. When i got it back together and started it up the valves clatterd very loudly. I took it back apart and rechecked the clearances at the l mark and they are in spec. but when you turn the crank they have a lot of slack in them. What did I do wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated!! thank you.

Old 01-31-2004, 07:36 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like you did everything correct, just might need more practice with the feeler guage. make sure its the right one, wether it be SAE or metric (both sizes are listed) and maybe try to bend it a hair so it fits in straight at the tappet.

typically you wont have to back them off very far at all. I would loosen the adjuster nut, run them down until they stop at the valve and try again.

you havent hurt anything.

Old 01-31-2004, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider

Are ya sure you were at TDC ? Even though the mark lines up it could be on the wrong part of the cycle ? Pull the plug and check that the mark on the flywheel corresponds to the TDC for sure.

Old 02-01-2004, 12:10 PM
Trailblazer

were you at tdc on the compression stroke, thats where you need to be

Old 02-01-2004, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider

I used feeler guages that are normally used for vehicles. I had to really modify them (bend, cut, and etc) to work properly in the Rappy because of the small amount of room. The biggest problem I noticed is that the guages will hit the head and cause the guage not to fit in at a straight angle and actually make the gap bigger when you tighten them down...Really be sure that the guage is flush and straight when sliding it between the rocker and the stem. It takes some practice but you'll get the hang of it. Also before you close everything up move the rocker arm with your fingers to make sure its all the way tight and that the gap is at least close to what you were looking for.

Old 02-01-2004, 04:17 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds to me like you set them on the exhaust stroke and not the compression stroke. The best way to make sure you're on the right stroke is to turn the crank to the right spot, then move it slowly back and forth to make sure NONE of the valves are moving. If they are, then you're not at TDC on compression. You shouldn't have had to move the adjusters any more than about 1 turn max from where they were if the valves were even close to being set right to begin with.

Old 02-01-2004, 10:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

I went back and tried again with your advice and I think I was on the exhaust stroke.
This time I made sure I was on the combustion stroke and it worked alot better. Thanks for all the help. It was greatly appreciated.

Old 02-16-2004, 12:03 AM
Trailblazer

OK all I need help!! 02 Rap was having a hard time starting last trip out, so I'm thinkin ok, intake valves have tightened up. Get home, adjust intakes (1/4 turn looser to get within spec.) button it up and get ready for Pres. weekend. Get out to Glamis, and it fires right up! Get rolling after it warms up, and it sounds like the rev limiter is kicking in at 1/2 throttle! I have done the mod to remove the E brake, and clutch switch (ran good for over a year), so what is causing my Rev limiter to peg?????? Is it possible to have the same symptom from a bad valve adjustment?? (ie wrong stroke during adjusting).
This ruined a perfectly great weekend of riding, cause I was pullin my hair out chasing this down.
During the adjustment process, TDC is when the rockers are tilted up and timing mark I, right? I'm desperately seeking input from all Raptor gurus. TIA Mike

Old 02-17-2004, 02:07 PM
Trailblazer

Can anyone help a brother out? Please. Haz

Old 02-17-2004, 02:39 PM
Pro Rider

Check your clutch switch.

I had a similar problem when I had my switch disabled it was fine, plugged it back into the switch and has the same symptoms as you. Runs fine them shuts down at 1/4 -1/2 throttle or so.. goes all the way down to idle and fires itself back up when you let off. Im sure it was some kind of mysterious safety feature that got boogered up.

Quick Reply: Raptor valve adjustment went wrong!!!