Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor 350 vs Warrior

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 11:25 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor 350 vs Warrior

Here in South Africa a dog made up of a few breeds is know as a pavement special and that is exactly what the Raptor 350 is. A bit of warrior and a bit of raptor and a bit of 450. I reserve judgement until I have ridden it, hopefuly YamahaSA will give me a test ride soon. We are expecting our first shipment mid March.

Old 02-24-2004, 11:29 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Of course we are all just giving our opinions at this point because these machine isn't out yet. I still don't like the idea of calling it a Raptor because it is simply an "improved Warrior" with a Raptor look. If it helps sell the quad then I guess Yamaha knows what they are doing to bring in revenue but I wouldn't buy one personally. I would much rather have seen Yamaha compete closer to the Z400 and KFX400 if they wanted to bring in a new Raptor model. Both of those machines have a modern liquid cooled, DOHC, 4-valve power plant while the new Raptor 350 is still using the out-dated air cooled, SOHC, 2-valve motor. Maybe they figured the YFZ took care of this class, I don't know. Still, nice improvements for the Warrior but I don't think its Raptor material.

Old 02-24-2004, 03:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

I think my 94 warrior would keep up with it. I cut plastic put new exsost. new sprokes to give it more top end and I think it would keep up with the new 350. I like the new look but I think I would save some money and buy the warrior if I was to buy a new 350.

Old 02-24-2004, 03:52 PM
Pro Rider

Timberwolf 250 4x4 w/Cobra exhaust would anhilate either one! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-24-2004, 10:16 PM
Trailblazer

I had a warrior and loved it. The i moved up to the z400. night and day difference. I really dont think the yz fills the gap. i liked my warrior because of reverse, then came the z. The only other choice with reverse is the raptor660. i chose the z because of a pretty proven engine and lighter, lower weight. I think i would buy a used warrior and update it with the raptor350 plastic, smaller tires, big bore kit,and a cam before i bought a brand new raptor350. The specs are too close to make me think yamaha really redesigned anything. Just my .01 cent
Patrick

Old 02-24-2004, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: NLWarrior01
Originally posted by: KILLERCUDA
Originally posted by: trailrider500
LOL you guys don't waste any time do ya?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Its simple Raptor 350 any quad worthy of the raptor name has to be fast... Come on know you guys should know that[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Hows it gonne be faster with the same motor?!?! There is NOTHING new on it it just weighs 50 lbs less.
What's the gearing on the new Rap?? With smaller tires the gearing will have to be taller in order to attain the same top speed as the old Warrior. It might get to it's top faster, but I don't really know if it will actually have a higher top speed.

There have been many posts about weight of machines and rider weight .. and depending on what the argument is, 22lbs is either a lot of weight or not much weight. So which is it here?

As for the new Rap beating an EX .. like someone else posted .. it's not gonna happen (stock for stock). The EX is still more powerful. And where's the new technology that Jed refers to? All the specs are identical .. even the carb, which was previously smaller is now apparently the same ...
I'm not refering to any new technology. All I said is that the plastics are more aerodynamic which will lower wind resistance.

Old 02-24-2004, 10:27 PM
Trailblazer

I really dont think they improved the areodynamics enough to compete with the ex or the z. No matter what its still 50cc less.

Old 02-24-2004, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider

Why does everybody always go by cc's on stock quads when in short drags the new 450's outrun raptors, vforces, ds650's, and so on?But, if you make the drag long enough where they can both top out for a short time the bigger cc quads should catch and pass the 450's.

Old 02-24-2004, 11:04 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Getusummm

I also think you made a wise choice with the Z....very nice ride. And from a Warrior to the Z I'm sure you can appreciate the immense improvemnets. I still have the Warrior and think its a fine ride but it falls short in comparison to the Z, KFX, EX, and true Raptor. I also think the TRX has replaced the out-dated air-cooled EX and wonder how much longer Honda will make it. It's just my thoughts though.

Old 02-24-2004, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

I don't think honda will ever get rid of it for the simple fact is that its a nice reliable quad that most people will probably still buy. And, they can be made to get really fast.

Quick Reply: Raptor 350 vs Warrior