Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

THE BEST DIRT TRAIL ATV??

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 01:51 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default THE BEST DIRT TRAIL ATV??

Originally posted by: lapeerbanshee
i didnt have to pay more for my black banshee but "diescarred" has a really nice looking raptor
THanks bro [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I really appreciate the comment, cause being young just like you, I worked hard, and put my damn soul into that bike. YOur banshee is sweet also [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-14-2004, 02:14 AM
Pro Rider

my vote is for the Z/KFX 400. If your riding in the woods and your not competing the 400 has a broader powerband than the YFZ450 and is cheaper i would think. check out the article on the main atvconnection.com page cause it compares the YFZ to the Z and they reccomend the Z for most people. the YFZ is a true race bred machine but id say youll be happier with reverse and a more comfy ride because fun is what your riding for. I am a yamaha fan since 2nd grade when i got my first yamaha PW80 dirtbike so im not being brand partial about this. Just my 2 cents is you will be happiest over all fun fast trail riding with a Z/KFX400 over a honda 450 or yamaha 450. the raptor is a nice bike too maybe im wrong but is it more narrow than the Z. I have ridden both but i was pretty tanked when i rode the raptor at a a party. it seemed not as stable.

Old 02-14-2004, 02:24 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: lapeerbanshee
how did this whole death thing come up im 14 and have never died
haha thats one of the greatest things ive heard in a while

Old 02-14-2004, 03:52 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'd say the Z400 thats the one i finaly chose when i was trying to make up my mind ,between the raptor and the Z the last shoot out i read was that the fun factor on the z beat out the raptor and that was,the cosensus of every body from the pro to the novice riders . i'm not biased toward the z cause i bought one but the local suzuki dealer gave me a heck of a deal $100 over invoice . i bought it when i was home on leave from iraq .yes this is coming to you from iraq , so i can't wait to get back to my new machine in a couple of months.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-14-2004, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I am not at all suggesting it, the Warrior has one of the most comfortable seats ever...

But Good choice with Rappy, You will not be disappointed.

Old 02-14-2004, 12:14 PM
Pro Rider

Hey deanz400, Thanks for all you guy's are doing over there, we're all wishing you a safe return. You'll be home in no time tearing it up on you're Z. Thanks again

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Jeff.

Old 02-14-2004, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider

I know you have already chosen Tower but, I thought I would throw in my expereince for good measure [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I have spent a good deal of time on most sport quads (excepting the new 450s). and I have to say that as an all-around bike, especially on the trail, the Z is the best compromise. The Raptor is a fun bike but, the combination of torquey power and tippy handling will make you tired pretty fast on a twisty trail. Out at the dunes it is wonderful or in the desert but, on a tight trail I much prefer the nimbleness of the Z400. I am sure that the YFZ or the 450R are even better stock but there is the reverse/e-start issue as well.

Then you say "I can make the Raptor handle as well as the Z" True although you will have to widen it (not always prefered on the trail) and if you put the same amount of money in the Z it will once again out handle the Rappie. So, considering the Z is cheaper to begin with I just don't see the Raptor is the best option for a trail-specific bike. I see it more of a dunes bike that does fine on the trail.

My expereince

GL

Old 02-14-2004, 02:38 PM
Pro Rider

i have a travel cade on my banshee and it is very comfortable

Old 02-14-2004, 03:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

My buddy has a z400 but i just had to have the Raptor. I would have looked more closelt at a preditor or yfz450 but no reverse on either. after riding the rappy i soon realized that reverse isn't really that big of a deal on sport quads when you can just use your feet to "back pedal" on the front tires for reverse. I rarely used my reverse just because I could use my feet way faster than I coukld hunt through those sensitave gears and find reverse. Now if I was having to back up more that 5 feet or so, or UP a hill then I loved it!

All in all I really Like the tameable feel of my buddy's z400 better than my rappy. Yeah I have tons of torque but I was to relax and ride too and it's just harder to do on the rappy because it's hard to trail with them and follow someone, just geared too high IMO. but I did see someone mention gearing one down?? maybe loose a little top end speed but gain a bit of low end play in the gearing. sounds like a cool option if anyone knows how it works, i sure dont...

Old 02-14-2004, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider

i dont have a reverse and i havent really needed it except for once dealing with the DNR

Quick Reply: THE BEST DIRT TRAIL ATV??