Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

All Yamaha and Wolverine owners out there!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 06:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All Yamaha and Wolverine owners out there!

I thought that might be what it did. I would imagine that it drastically improves mileage and speed with the reduction in friction and rotating mass. The first thing I wanted to do with my Wolverine was a donut, not so easy with 4wd though. It's funny to think that as a race and performance enthusiast, I strive for better braking and handling at all costs, yet it's a real blast being out of control! The first day I took my Wolv out riding, I went with a friend and his hopped up KFX 400. Not exactly a fair confrontation, but, I admit I was quite jealous about the aggressive sound of his machine, his ability to jump and wheelie at will, and the mean look of his spyder trak tire wearing quad. All that being said, with 6 inches of snow on the ground, when the flag dropped, my quad bit in and launched like the animal it was named after. On the straight aways, he would whiz out past me and wheelie, again I was a little jealous, but then I realized, he was doing what his quad was built to do, and as I tried to fish tail and couldnt, I realized that I was doing what my quad was meant to do, kick natures *** and get me where I'm going. I'm smart enough to know that you cant compare apples to oranges, I bought a quad so that I could go places that my feet and my Chevy cant take me, and in that arena, I think the Wolverine wears the crown. As far as mean looking goes, if I went out to my garage right now and opened the door, those 2 headlights peaking out from a blanket of mud like nasty little eyes is cool enough for the general public. Can you tell I love my quad?

Old 02-19-2004, 11:23 AM
Trailblazer

My 2004 Wolvey also is noisey after it warms up. The marble rattling description best describes the noise, although I first thought it might be cam chain noise (loose cam chain rattling against the case). When I bought the machine, my dealer told me up front that the engine would get noisey after it warms up. I guess this is a normal thing for these motors, although they sound like crap when they're idling. I only have 6 hours on the motor so far and am hoping that it will quiet down after a valve adjustment. But.... it really doesn't sound like valve tappet noise to me!

Old 02-19-2004, 07:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, I just got back from riding, and boy did I ride! Thank God for winches, and to think I was gonna ditch the warn to save on weight. I too am only on my second tank of gas, so it's hard to say where I'll wind up after the full break in period. As usuall the top end noise was as evident as ever, and I do believe that the valves are loose. Back in the old days, it was a must to bring a new vehicle in for a valve adjustment after break in. I think that still applies, although I don't personally know anyone who's ever done it. I think people just dont want to tie up their vehicles for a day and go through the drop off pick up thing, everyone is too busy and doesnt believe the dealers anyway. It is pure science and logic though that no matter how good any clearance is set at the factory, as soon as the engine is run, the parts will seat, the finishes will wear, and that tolerance will change. Because these engines dont have hydraulic lifters to absorb that change in tolerance, it stands to reason that a small difference would make a big noise. I will do the valves myself when it gets a little warmer, I'd hate to turn on my hose and have it freeze. BTW, when the mud is up to the oil cooler, you aint gettin out without a winch, I found out the muddy way.