Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

All Yamaha and Wolverine owners out there!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 09:21 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All Yamaha and Wolverine owners out there!

Hey, I'm new here so hopefully I came to the right spot. I'm a long time gear head and street bike racer, but new to dirt. I'm looking for the idle mixture/ pilot screw plug on my 04 Wolverine. I can see a big silver cap on one side, but it's not the usual brass plug I'm used to seeing. I cant see below the carb unless I remove it, which I'll do, but I'd like to know the location first. Also, my valve train seems a little noisy. I'm still on the second tank of fuel so I expect noise from break in, but some of my street bikes have noisy valves by nature. I read a post where another wolverine owner was stating this, so I was wondering, is the valve train on this bike noisy to begin with? They are especially noisy at idle, and again up top. In exchange for helping my get used to the whole dirt & single cylinder thing, I gladly offer any welding/ fabrication/ customizing and performance advice to any who need it.

Old 02-16-2004, 11:12 AM
Pro Rider

I got an 03 wolverine and mine is a little noisy but nothing to worry about. I would check the oil (I'm sure you already did). When I got mine it was low, But I check the quad over before I go anywhere as you how the dealers can be. I hope this helps. Oooh one other thing shifting may be a little hard at first as THEY all are just in case your wondering.

Old 02-16-2004, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The idle mixture screw is in a recessed "well" on the underside of the carb, near the front. It is a slot head screw. Unless you have a special short driver, it is a little tricky to get to without carb removal

If you have concerns about the engine noise, and your bike is an 04, perhaps your dealer could assess it under warranty?

Old 02-16-2004, 02:29 PM
Trailblazer

i have a 2003 and one of the first things i was worried about when i bought it was that the valves seemed like they were making way to much noise for being a new atv. iv'e had it for a year now and they still make the same noise when idling and when running 5th at 3/4 to full throttle it sounds like something is going to break . i need to get a tune up done on it to if it makes any diference. aside from the loud engine noise i can say i have never had a problem with it .

Old 02-16-2004, 06:34 PM
Pro Rider

The valves seem a little noisy by nature. Rock solid engine though, nothing to worry about.

Old 02-16-2004, 10:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all of the information guys! My 2 other Yamaha's are a V-Maxx and an FZR 1000, both of them have always had loud/ noisy vale trains, yet at 12,000 rpm's they sing like sweethearts. I didnt think I needed to worry much, but better safe then sorry. As far as the carb mixture screw is concerned, although it may be burried, it cant be nearly as bad as 4 carbs with V boost valves, but I wont jump to that conclusion either. Yet...
Also I just put the warn 2.5 winch on, I didnt think I'd like it because of weight and clearance, but so far no problems and I've done some real hairy stuff. It's got way too much power though. With the e brake on and all the brake levers pinned, it pulls the quad with me on it, even with 2 cement blocks in front of the wheels. Not that I thought the wolv would get stuck, but again, better safe then sorry.

Old 02-16-2004, 10:07 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah mines a lil loud never any real problems though speed demon where you going riding saterday?

Old 02-16-2004, 10:14 PM
Pro Rider

armyadarkness,
I got a 02 R6 gotta love all that HP huh. Wheelies on demand[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-17-2004, 06:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

I started my Yamaha relationship with an FZR 600, I had 2 new ones before I went to the 1000. Things were a lot different then, I have a friend who owns 2 dealerships so I get to see all of the new stuff up close. I like the changes Yamaha has made to their line, other then not making a 750, I think they've done a great job a keeping their fans loyal. The r6 is a really nice looking bike, good luck with it, and if you do a lot of wheelies, put better fork springs in it, and better fork oil. You'll be happy you did and they're cheap.

Old 02-17-2004, 07:28 AM
Pro Rider

My Warrior has a noisy valve train too at idle and WOT. I'm going to check them in the spring, or before my next major ride, which will probably be in the spring. Same engine, different tranny ..

Quick Reply: All Yamaha and Wolverine owners out there!