Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

i need advice from some banshee guys

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 03:14 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need advice from some banshee guys

my banshee gets hot real fast i dont have a lot of money what do you think i should get cool head, high flow water pump, inline cooler, or radiater. if i could only get one what one would be most affective

Old 02-22-2004, 04:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Have you done any other mods to your bike. I wonder why it is getting hot so fast. the things you listed may not fix the problem The best after market cooling system mod you can make is definatly the cool head

Old 02-22-2004, 05:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Run Engine Ice coolant. Supposed to lower running temp by 50 degree's. That would help keep it cool.

Old 02-22-2004, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider

I would be more worried about why it is getting hot, and then think about how you can fix it.

Old 02-22-2004, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider

It may be your jetting, if you have done any mods without rejetting and your running lean, it will over heat much more. Do a plug check, if they are any lighter than a dark tan color, you are too lean.

Old 02-22-2004, 07:35 PM
Pro Rider

You definitely need to find out why it is getting so hot, so fast, just like all these other guys have suggested. If you decide that you have to do something to help keep it cooler, Engine Ice, or some other brand specialty coolant might be the first thing to try for cost purposes. Be careful to read the instructions because a few of them do not provide freeze protection.

If you're looking for the most effective option, I would have to believe that a larger, better designed radiator would do the best job, while setting you back about 4 to 5 big bills. I plan to try one of the Toomey radiators on my Banshee later this year.

Anyways, these interesting paragraphs are off the Toomey Racing's Website:

"Some companies try to tell you that by changing to an expensive cylinder head that carries more water will cool your engine.......but how can it? More water volume does not cool anything, it just ads weight! Imagine you connected your water cooling system to a 55 gallon drum of water. Besides taking forever to heat up to operating temperature, there really is no added cooling happening now is there?? The same volume of water must trickle through the stock radiator, where the water transfers its heat to the aluminum fins and is carried off by the air passing through the radiator. So, big capacity heads are a fallacy, besides, they usually are higher compression, and PRODUCE more heat!

As you know, there is only ONE thing on a Banshee that conducts the heat away from the engine..... the WATER! and there is only ONE thing that conducts the heat out of the water..... the RADIATOR!"

Here is the link if you want to read the entire thing:

http://www.toomey.com/html/radiator_store.htm

Old 02-22-2004, 10:07 PM
Trailblazer

i just got it bored out its at 60 over

Old 02-24-2004, 09:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've had this same problem before, the problem with my banshee was the cylinders were bored over too much causeing it over heat, i dont know if yours is bored but this is what happend to mine. you might want to check your spark plugs if their darker than a light tan color it is too lean try mixing it a little richer.

Old 02-24-2004, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider

60 over makes it a 364 that means its sucks more air and needs to be re-jetted.

Old 02-24-2004, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

Definitely rejet, it's sucking alot more air so you need to give her more fuel, you could always just ride with the choke on....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]