Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Helped a friend do a top end rebuild on a Banshee, got some problems..

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 09:06 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helped a friend do a top end rebuild on a Banshee, got some problems..

Everything went smooth. Till we went to fire it up. See if you can follow me here......when we got it fired up, we noticed the LEFT side cylinder wasnt firing, so we shut it down to look at a few things and take off the carb to make sure the float wasnt stuck or something. We pulled th air box also, so when we re-fired it, I can look to see if gas was going into the cylinder. Here is where is gets weird......both were getting gas and both were firing at idle. BUT, when you start to give it gas (say 1/4 throttle), the RIGHT side will stop firing and pop real loud out of the pipe. Let it idle back down and it will start firing again. So it started off that the left wasnt firing and ends up the right will not fire above 1/4 throttle. I am lost on this one. I am thinking maybe it has something to do with the TORS or the coil. But I am just guessing. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Old 02-23-2004, 09:43 AM
Pro Rider

Seen this happen before so step one is check to see that the correct slide is in the correct carb (ie. left with left and right with right) the slanted side goes towards the airbox.

Old 02-23-2004, 10:15 AM
Pro Rider

Never took the slides out of the carbs....so, they are like they were from the factory.

Old 02-23-2004, 10:29 AM
Pro Rider

O.K. second step, disconnect the tors off the carb tops and also make sure the parking brake is not engaged. This now seem to be acting more like the stator than a fuel problem.

Old 02-23-2004, 10:36 AM
Pro Rider

If I disconnect the TORS, will it even fire? Do I need to unhook it anywhere else besides off the tops of the carbs?

P.S. Its getting fuel. When he opens up the throttle, I can see gas being pulled in, its just not burning it. Can you give me a list of steps to trouble shoot it? I wont be able to work on the bike till tonight.

Old 02-23-2004, 10:50 AM
Pro Rider

What did you torque the head bolts to? Did you use a new head gasket or just paint the old one? It sounds like your head gasket is leaking a little.

You could also have an air leak. While it is idling, spray carb cleaner or starting fluid around the intake boots and base gaskets. If the idle speed changes (either up or down) you have an air leak.

Old 02-23-2004, 10:54 AM
Pro Rider

Just thought of something else. In between the carbs there is a 2.5-3" black tube that transfers fuel from the left side carb over to the right side when the choke is on. This tube is right in front of the slide and right above the carb bore. It just slides on two little stubs. Leaving this out creates a lean right side and causes the problems you mentioned.

Hiram, have you ever forgot this tube?

Old 02-23-2004, 10:55 AM
Pro Rider

Using a new head gasket. Torqued to....20-22 ft. lbs. I think. Check where for an air leak? Around all the boots?

Old 02-23-2004, 11:02 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: AlkyBurninX
Just thought of something else. In between the carbs there is a 2.5-3" black tube that transfers fuel from the left side carb over to the right side when the choke is on. This tube is right in front of the slide and right above the carb bore. It just slides on two little stubs. Leaving this out creates a lean right side and causes the problems you mentioned.

Hiram, have you ever forgot this tube?
You know what? We found a 3" black tube laying on the case when we installed the carbs!! Never could figure out where it went. If the choke is off, will it still do this? Do you by chance have a pic or diagram showing where that tube goes? We have a Clymers Manual.....is it in there?

Old 02-23-2004, 11:03 AM
Pro Rider

Disconnecting the tors will not stop it from firing, just unplug the wires to test, also what AlkyBurninX is very important, first compression has alot to do with proper ignition and air leaks are your worst enemy. He gave you the easiest way to check for air leaks on the intake with the carb cleaner trick and a quick way to see If your leaking on the head gaskit is to look inside the radiator for turbulance and bubbies in the radiator fluid by looking inside with the cap off while running the engine.

Quick Reply: Helped a friend do a top end rebuild on a Banshee, got some problems..