Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Changing Raptor Oil Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 06:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Raptor Oil Questions

Hey Guys, Some of ya know I got a Rap. I dont like the way the oil looks and I wanna get it out of there. Do I drain just the crank case and the one from the lil oil tank goes out too? What kind of oil does it take? I ordered a service manual but it will not get here in time. I wanna ride it but I do not want to ride it with the way the oil looks and the manual wont get here that soon. Thanks

Old 02-25-2004, 06:25 PM
Pro Rider

The crankcase and the oil tank drain out the bottom and the filter might need changing too. I use Castrol GTX 20-50 for my weather. Don't know about yours. You can buy oil filters at the auto store too. Here's a link to the different oil filters you can use to save some coin.

http://www.off-road.com/atv/projects...oifilters.html

Old 02-25-2004, 06:27 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks Punker, Do you happen to have the # off the filter from the auto parts store? I used 10W-40 in My Warrior. Do you see any problems there? Thanks

Old 02-25-2004, 06:29 PM
Pro Rider

Use the link, I think it's Bosch 3300 I use. Saves you about $6 a filter. The crankcase bolt is on the shifter side and when you go to refill, fill up the tank, start the bike to get the oil through and warm, then top off to full line. I don't see any problem w/ the oil you use. Most people probably have a problem w/ the oil I use.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 02-25-2004, 06:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

I think you need to go to your yamaha store and do it right.
Make sure 100% your oil doesn't have any friction modifiers added, as your clutch needs this oil to and you can have clutch problems if you use the wrong oil. Nothing will beat YamaLube and a genuine oil filter from yamaha.
It might be a little more, but you bought your raptor cause it is the best.... that is why you didn't look at the auto parts store for a cheaper generic raptor.
USE YAMALUBE, and have no worries.
but heck, it is your raptor.... I don't care

Old 02-25-2004, 06:41 PM
Pro Rider

If it's good enough for my $32,000 truck, it's good enough for my quad. It is up to you though.

Old 02-25-2004, 06:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

A truck engine and quad engine are a lot different . Your truck doesn't share the engine oil with the transmission/clutch. Your truck also doesn't run up to 10,000 rpms.... You can't compare those too. Oil is highly scientific, and does make a big difference.

Old 02-25-2004, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

Understood, do your research and do what you feel is best Cuda. I'm just telling you what I do.

Old 02-25-2004, 06:48 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I guarantee the Bosch 3300 filter I use is 10X better than the cheap oe Raptor replacement that has a couple daps of glue holding it together. Oil is another way the stealership hoses the customer....talking about "friction modifiers". Let me get this straight....ALL 5w-30 and 10w-30 automotive dino oils have "friction modifiers" primarily for increased fuel mileage for autos. Thats it....all others don't have this special additive. Does'nt mean a nice synthetic is more slippery....it just has different properties.

Old 02-25-2004, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks Gary,Punker,Bob. I think I'm going to go the Bosch filter with My 10W-30. Also for checking the oil do you screw the dipstick in or just set it on top of the lip to make reading? Thanks for all your opinions I appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Changing Raptor Oil Questions