Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor vs. New 450's??

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 11:37 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Raptor vs. New 450's??

I'm sorry, let me explain. You will gain on the low end with a pipe on the yfz. However, you will gain more, as a %, on the mid and mostly the top. The higher gains at higher rpms will make the yfz FEEL like it has even worse low end power. Torque will always belong to the raptor for its large displacement and sohc, but thats not to say the yfz doesnt make enough to bring the front end up on command.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-03-2004, 11:44 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah... i luv bringing it up on command... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-03-2004, 12:01 PM
Pro Rider

me too but especially love when it's not on comand. WHoooo!

Old 03-03-2004, 12:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've been watching the forums for quite some time now and I love this place. I'm in the same boat though as far as which quad to get. I'm coming from a Banshee with FMF pipes, some head work, as well as some reeds (it was a 94). I bought the Banshee and and had zero complaints, it was everything I wanted at the time (sand dunes). I don't ride in the sand dunes anymore (my friends got old and won't go anymore) and it looks like my riding is switching to trails. I've worked out the numbers with the dealer and I was told that I can get the YFZ450 OUT the door for $6900.00. I have never rode one but from what I have been told the YFZ450 will be the closest thing to my old Banshee as far as a good punch when you jump on the gas? I miss the Banshee but it was terrible for trail riding and it wasn't made to sissy around on the trails. If I get the YFZ450 will it be just as exciting (i'm not afraid to buy a new seat to get the extra cushion that everyone complains about) and work for trails? I was going to go for the Raptor but I think i can throw a YFZ450 or TRX450 around a lot better (I'm 5' 7" 145 lbs). With a similar ride height and weight as a Banshee the YFZ only makes sense right? I'm not brand loyal I think they all make great machines but you can't touch a TRX450 in Arizona for under $7300.00 and I don't think it's worth that much more with an actual MSRP which is $500.00 lower then the YFZ.

Also.. as far as jetting, will the new carb in the YFZ be as sensative as a normal carb when it comes to elevation changes or is it all the same thing? I don't know a thing about the new carbs in the YFZ. (wish they just went to fuel injection)

Thanks..

Matt

Old 03-03-2004, 01:02 PM
Pro Rider

I've never noticed the seat being THAT uncomfortable. With the lower center of gravity, it's easier to toss the *** end around on the yfz, JMO.

(you think the seat on the yfz is hard... try the 04 R1's seat. It's like sitting on a rock.)

Old 03-03-2004, 01:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm not as worried about the dumb seat issue, I'm more concerned with buying the right quad. =)
I agree, I want the ability to throw the back end around and make it work for me vs. having to muscle the thing. How bad can a YFZ really be for the trails?

Old 03-03-2004, 01:05 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

smitty, looks like you have it all figured out. The FCR carbs are a pain to jet, but the performance is worth it. The yfz will be as close as you can get to your banshee in 4 stroke form, powerband and all. sounds like a decent price, enjoy your purchase.

Old 03-03-2004, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider

I agree...

and personally, I've never had any issues with trail riding my yfz.... (cept there's no reverse... )

Old 03-03-2004, 02:30 PM
Pro Rider

Stock for stock the YFZ beats the rappy because the rappy is so detuned...very detuned. Once you mod the rappy with a pipe/filter/jet kit (gain 10+ HP) then you should beat stock 450's and at least tie piped ones. You don't need engine mods to smoke a 450, the rappy has enough engine already but mods dont hurt [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

The main reason the 450 is faster is because it's lighter and not detuned from the factory. It has about 5-10 more HP stock than the rappy.

You can do alot to the 660 to make it rev faster.

Nothing stops people from buyin a new ignition cept that they cost a pretty penny and yes they help but not as much as all the other mods. which is another reason people dont get them becuase other mods are cheaper and more effective. The Rappy may only rev to 9k but the torque is massive. I don't even have a new ignition with my bike.

The only complaints I've heard about the Rappy and trial riding is that it's tippy but this is comin from most people that just bought the bike and didn't know how to ride it yet. I agree they are a little tippy but nothing a little body english can fix, and if you feel you can't handle it then simply getting 2" spacers for the rear wheels works great and it's not to pricy. If you feel the YFZ has more problems on trails then this then I say go with the Rappy.

Old 03-03-2004, 02:36 PM
Pro Rider

The only bad thing about the YFZ on the trails is that your going to have to wait for all your friends all the time that have raptors..

Do yourself a huge favor and just ride each in the conditions you would expect to ride in most of the time.

Then you can add your last commentary to this thread about how much you like your new YFZ and thank those that let you take their quad for a test drive.

Quick Reply: Raptor vs. New 450's??