Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Comments and questions about my Grizzly

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 12:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comments and questions about my Grizzly

I’m really enjoying my new Grizzly. I’ve had it at Land Between the Lakes in Kentucky the past two weekends. I have two questions but first thought I would give a few comments (since this is the kind of information I looked for before purchasing).

Engine braking? The engine braking is great. When I had the stock tires on it, I could go down most anything in high range and have plenty of engine braking. (This is something I got used to with the Ranchers and didn’t like the thought of giving it up.) Once I put the 26” mud lites on, the engine braking in high range suffered a little. It’s still pretty darn good, but now if it’s really steep, I go down in low range.

High CG? I read everywhere that the Grizzly was top heavy or “felt tipsy” compared to others. Well, when I first started riding it, I did seem higher off the ground (I was) and it did kinda give me the feeling I wasn’t “planted” to the ground as well as on the ranchers, but this was short lived. After the first day I was feeling very secure on the beast. I’m not saying _it is_ as stable (cause I really don’t know) but it’s no longer a concern to me. It’s definitely not a factor as I decide what terrain to tackle. I feel like I can go anywhere on it; if anything, it has probably made me too confident (read “cocky” [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]).

Other problems mentioned on the forums? I’ve been told (and would like to believe) that most of the commonly mentioned problems (like boiling the gas, breaking axles, etc.) have been fixed on the 04’ models. Time will tell.

Two Questions:
1.Airborn? As I’m riding down the trail and taking advantage of the small jumps, I hear some “clanging” type noise when I’m in the air. I think it is drive train noise because I can usually make it go away by staying slightly in the throttle while in the air (instinct usually has me let off the throttle when in the air). Keep in mind that I’m just talking about small “whoops” kind of jumps. In other words, I’m getting some “sport” use out of it as I zoom down the trail. To other owners out there: is this normal? Am I going to kill it by taking it airborn?

2.The belt? Hey, my Hondas didn’t have a belt. I want to take a look at the thing. Am I messing up if I take the side off and check out the belt? Will I be breaking some factory seal or something? I would like to know if my riding has put any mud in there. I was going to take a look the other evening and then second guessed breaking the factory seal (meaning is it going to be more leak prone once it has been opened?). What do you think? (I’m not a big time mechanic or anything, but I like to tinker.)

-Glen

Old 03-04-2004, 12:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sweet this is good to read as I am looking to purchase a grizzly in the next couple of months.

You can answer my question since you have an '04.

Is it true that you can't override the rev-limiter when in reverse or using the front diff-lock? I've seen wiring kits to get around both but didn't know if the '04s needed them.

Thanks

Old 03-04-2004, 01:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

There is an “override” button on the left handlebar that will override the rev limiter when you have the front diff locked. I have not tried it in reverse but will this evening and let you know.

-Glen

Old 03-04-2004, 01:21 PM
Pro Rider

happy to hear your enjoying the new griz!
as for your questions. well, tippy is something people who dont ride one every day say. once you own one, you quickly realize they are well planted for an irs quad.
the clanging is drive train noise, and quite common on the irs quads. another way you will hear noise is if your flooring it down a trail, and let off quickly. this also makes the backlash noise. nothing at all to worry about.
jumping it. i have gotton over 6 ft high, at a distance or 28 ft on mine, lol. i have never broken anything, no cv joint, nothing. its quite a solid machine. i dont jump regularly, but if i see a nicly set up one, with smooth takeoff and landing, i will hit it. so, 2 ft whoopties are nothing but soap for the grizz's bath, heehee.
the boiling gas and vaporlocking was something that happened, in the right conditions, to most early grizz's. i solved mine quite a while ago, just by wrapping my exhaust, and opening the side covers up.
so, unless you encounter a problem, dont even think about it. what may bother you is the steam issue with them. if you hit alot of small puddles, and causes steam, the steam may raise into your carb intake, making you sputter for a bit. i solved this by installing a hood scoop and putting a fan in it. i ran a hose to the exhaust, and in wet conditions, i hit a switch, and it keeps the intake clear.
the belt. heck ya get in there, lol. you will soon see it is quite bullit proof, as long as you dont flood it out. dont overtighten the bolts when you put back the cover though, or you'll snap them quick!

hope i helped, and another great site for the grizzly's is highlifters. alot of info there!