Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

what to do with my blaster

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 04:18 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to do with my blaster

I have a 98 blaster, and its kinda crappy compared to my dvx 400. The handling isnt too great, its really tippy, shaky, there isnt much power, the shocks are always bottoming out and bouncing, and it doesnt look too good. I thought about selling it and buying a z400, but i thought it would be way cooler and fun to take the blaster and fix it up. I traded my mom's trailblazer for the blaster about a month ago, and she really isnt too hapy with it either, so I have about $1500 i can put into the blaster. I am planning on buying these because they seem the best for the money (correct me if im wrong):

vito 240 bore kit
itp holeshots (front and back)
vforce reeds
FMF pipe and silencer
banshee front shocks
works rear shock
new chain and bearings
alba graphics and seat
blue powder coated frame, swingarm, a-arms

I also need (but dont know where to get them for cheap, and what brand is good):

carb
longer rear axle
extended a-arms
new blue blaster plastics

Could anyone tell me what carb, axle, and a-arms that i should get for a reasonable price? Also, does anyone know where I can get the newer style blaster plastics? i looked on ebay, but it seems like no one sells them anymore. Will this setup handle a lot nicer? or should i just buy a z400 or something.

thanks for all of your help

Old 03-19-2004, 07:38 AM
Pro Rider

get the Hollywood Dirt 240 big bore kit, it is totally race ported for less money, the vito's 240 kits is just a 240 sleeve with stock porting, it won't give you much of a power increase.

www.hollywooddirtproductions.com

Old 03-19-2004, 10:46 AM
Pro Rider

I have a little Blaster experience. You can get larger power gains without the outlay of dollars for a 240 kit which remember will involve machine work to install the sleeve. You'll have 5 or 6 hundies into that 240.

On one of my Blasters I put an FMF pipe, and sent the cylinder & head to Eric Gorr for porting & head mods. Just doing that really woke it up big time. I also drilled holes in the airbox lid and put on a Unifilter & better reeds. Now it could use some more carb, and for under $200 there are several good ones to choose from. Many cylinder port jobs are from $350 to $500 but Gorr does it for under $200 and the work is very good.

Maier Manufacturing has cool race front plastic for Blasters and the price is good. They look curvy like a 250R.

Spend some money on suspension. I think Cascade will lengthen your stock swingarm for like $150. Armadillo makes some of the best a arms period, and you can get them on ebay for way less than something like Lonestar.

Just these things will eat up your money outside of a big bore kit, but it will perform very well. I kinda like the little Blasters because they are simple and light weight---can be made to weigh even less with aluminum wheels, bumpers, etc.

Old 03-22-2004, 08:35 PM
Trailblazer

hollywood productions can "rifle" the stock carb and then jet it and it will work as good as bigger carbs or better. Only costs 60-80 dollars. good mod. definetly get the new exhaust and some boysesn PRO SERIES reeds with reed spacers in it too. It will be alot quicker and also u can flipp the front tires around and get an extra 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 inches wider, it will help alot better and looks better i think.