Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

warrior cam and piston ??????

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 11:29 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default warrior cam and piston ??????

I am wanting a more power out of my warrior and was thinking about adding a new cam and valve springs. Was considering a webcam or hot cam. Was just curious if I need to do anything else or can i run this or would I be better off adding a higher compression piston while doing this. I ride mainly fast trails and some mx. I am wanting to get more mid to topend out of it but with out having to run race gas or worry about reliablity. Premium or mid grade doesnt scare me though. Any helps and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-24-2004, 01:24 AM
Pro Rider

I'm actually planning to do the same myself within the next year sometime, and I can tell you what I've found out. Alba will carry the best piston for us, considering it's a JE 10.75 to 1 compression and will run pump gas still (best I've found so far). Crotts told me he heard good things about Web cams, but if you run the full race style one you will need to run race gas to keep a good amount of power in the low end still. I'm sure this cam will truely live up to it's description and give 'tremendous mid and high end increases'. The Hotcam stage one probably won't give as much increase in mid and top end, but only cause a minimal loss in low end power. If you run the Web cam you'll have to keep higher revs and use more gas probably, so a extended fuel tank might help if you still ride any longer trails. The Web cam would be the choice probably if you ride like you want to dig a hole to China all the time. A megacycle cam I think has even a little more top end than the Web, but your low end would be slaughtered without a 12:1 comp piston and race gas.

Old 03-24-2004, 02:23 AM
Pro Rider

With the megacycle you can change the timing to adjust how much torque your willing to give away for top end (assuming you degree it in by either notching the sproket or buying an adjustable one). I had a lil ol 10.25:1 piston and the .450 cam set on full blown top end and then some. It still had more bottom end than my bike did stock. Forget race gas unless you go over 11:1 compression. Youll just be pissing money away.

Old 03-24-2004, 11:49 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks guys still not sure weather to get the full alba kit or try and do something with the webcam kit and just get a new piston. web offers 2 cams a race one and then just a mild one.

Old 03-24-2004, 12:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

don't get the mild one, if your going in the motor, do ahead and go all out, it will be worth it

Old 03-24-2004, 01:31 PM
Pro Rider

To heck with that, get the monster megacycle cam [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-24-2004, 06:33 PM
Trailblazer

i just dont want to half to always find race gas or octane booster to go riding but would like to get as much out of it as i can without being to extreme..

Old 03-24-2004, 06:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

run a 10.25 wiseco piston and use 90+ and you will be fine

Old 03-24-2004, 07:28 PM
Pro Rider

Whatever you do don't settle for the 10.25 comp wiseco, while you do the engine work you might as well get that 10.75 comp JE. I think the Web race cam would be a good choice, for what you want. With these engine mods I recommend installing a cooling system with the 95' Big Bear oil cooler cap, it will definately prolong your engine life if you ride hard in the summer. Keeping the engine cool is definately a good idea with mods on an air cooled engine. Look for spec warrior's pad on the web to get some instructions if your interested, it will probably run you about $170 for the cap, lines, and cooler itself. This mod is definately worth the cost when you can save yourself from overheating and damaging the engine. A good place to find oil coolers is at Alamo Motorsports if your interested. This setup is simple to install and can easily be done during an oil change, and the only problem I encountered was that the gear shifter must be bent about 2mm further out. You can bend the shifter by hand though, so I wouldn't even consider it a problem! I'll update my pictures on my page tonight at about 11:30 or so if anyone wants to see what it looks like.

Old 03-24-2004, 09:47 PM
Trailblazer

thanks def intrested in seeing the setup with summer aproaching..

Quick Reply: warrior cam and piston ??????