Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Failure, 1st Ride!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 09:56 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor Failure, 1st Ride!

Given that this was the weekend to try out new bikes, Saturday was a 25 miler on the
new CRFs while Sunday was devoted to the new Raptors. According to my GPS, we got
exactly 3.1 miles away from the truck when a small bolt on the right hand side of the
cylinder sheared of and it started pumping a steady stream of oil onto the right side of
my quad and pipe. For a moment I thought it was gasoline and was all prepared to hit the silk!

I followed the trail of oil back about 150 yards and found the head of the bolt. After hooking
up a tow strap and towing my new ride back to the truck, I broke out the tools and was
able to extract the rest of the bolt from the cylinder. This 3/8" bolt was hollow with a " T "
just behind the head. I'm assuming that oil is supposed to circulate through it and that it
must be used to drain the cylinder head?????

Anyway, I spent the afternoon up on the bluff watching my wife tear around the desert on
her new Raptor. By the end of the day it was hard to wipe the grin off her face. She wasn't
missing her old Blaster at all!

This bolt seems pretty fragile and maybe it is designed to fail if the oil pressure is too high.
Anyway, it's probably something worth keeping an extra in the toolbox just in case. It pumped
out 1/2 quart of break-in oil before I noticed it and got the quad safely stopped.

Not a fun day as you might expect............

Old 04-05-2004, 10:14 AM
Elite Pro Rider

THats a 10mm "banjo" bolt that supplies oil too the top end of the engine. Oil is pumped via a steel line from behind the water pump at the bottom of the engine. Never heard of one simply breaking off....maybe it was overtightened or simply a defect. I lost one and found a replacement at AutoZone FYI. Welcome too the forums!

Old 04-05-2004, 10:30 AM
Elite Pro Rider

10mm X 1.25 X (I forget the length but you have your old pieces). I go into detail on the bolt because the punk at the local dealership will not have this bolt in stock and will never get it in. Remember, there is a copper washer on each side of the oil supply line. Bolt, washer, oil supply line, another copper washer. Banjo bolt goes through everything and into the head. If you cannot run down some of the copper washers down give me a shout....I have some extras on hand.
Gary

Old 04-05-2004, 11:00 AM
Trailblazer

So I found one copper washer with the bolt head. Are you saying I have to pull the cylinder head
to get to the supply line behind the bolt? Man, I hope not. This would be a bigger failure than I thought!

Old 04-05-2004, 11:04 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Bopeep
So I found one copper washer with the bolt head. Are you saying I have to pull the cylinder headto get to the supply line behind the bolt? Man, I hope not. This would be a bigger failure than I thought!
Head stays on. Lay a washer over the bolt hole (in between the supply line and the head), put another washer over the oil supply line and install the banjo bolt. Piece of cake!

Old 04-05-2004, 11:06 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Here is a fishe link. Check out parts 20-21-22 Pick Here.

Old 04-05-2004, 11:34 AM
Trailblazer

Gary,

I'm not sure we are talking about the same bolt. In the exploded diagram that you reference,
part 20 is indeed the supply line. This is not the same place where my Raptor failed. I have
a photo (jpeg) of the failure, but I don't have anyway of posting it. I'm still looking for an
exploded diagram that shows the failure location.

In my case, the bolt attaches directly to the cylinder head with just a copper washer.

Old 04-05-2004, 11:38 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I see...check this one out....pick here. Is it Item # 30? The bolt is a check bolt too make sure the top end is getting proper lube.

Old 04-05-2004, 12:03 PM
Trailblazer

Yup, that's the one. It sheared off right at the junction of the " T ". Since I was
able to recover the washer (item #31), it looks like I just need item #30, the
union bolt.

Old 04-05-2004, 12:08 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Must have been overtorqued or maybe simply a defective bolt. A new one should get you fixed up.

Quick Reply: Raptor Failure, 1st Ride!