Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Hook me up with some Banshee build advice...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hook me up with some Banshee build advice...

I recently received a 2000 Banshee from a buddy who was having some money problems and owed me some money.....so he gave me his 2000 Banshee as payment on his loan......and I am not sure what to do with it.

Any who...I am fixing it up since he had run the pizzizill out of it....I am replacing the usual sprockets, chain, bearings, bushings etc. I am not sure what to do with the motor. He told me it had Weisco pistons that bumped up the compression. I pulled the top end of the motor to see if the pistons or cylinders were hurt, and those pistons look pretty stock. How will I know if they have been replaced or not? What kind of markings should I look for?

Also this is my first 2 stroke, so I am learning here.....since I have it all apart what mods would be good for me to do? I want it to be reliable but strong and fast. It has some aftermarket pipes on it but I have no idea who they are made by....no markings at all.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 04-07-2004, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider

Ask your two stroke buddies to recommend a good shop in town to have the motor looked at. Know when you dont know what to look for. Then ask the guys what they were looking for and how to fix it yourself next time.

Old 04-07-2004, 12:44 AM
Pro Rider

You got to remember that I am in BFE....Mississippi.... The only shops around here are dealers. And they want to put windshields on my quad!

I was just hoping somebody else on here could tell me what, if any, markings weisco pistons have on them...and compare that to what I am seeing on the pistons in my quad. I know normally on other engines when it is overbored there is a stamping on the top of the piston to let you know the overbore....I am not seeing that on these pistons. I am thinking these are stock. If so, then I may try to find somewhere to take it......

Also I am looking for combos that worked good and can be recommended....thanks

Old 04-07-2004, 03:28 AM
Pro Rider

first make sure that the pistons dont have any chips or any thing like that in them.

find out what all it has done to it.

ohh crap gotta go I'll get back to ya on that.

Old 04-07-2004, 06:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

You got to remember that I am in BFE....Mississippi.... The only shops around here are dealers. And they want to put windshields on my quad!
ROTFLMAO!!!! Tell me about it![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

There is actually a guy who does VERY good banshee work around here. He was in Hattiesburg, but I think he moved. His name is Brian and I think the name of his shop is All Pro Cycles...but it might have changed. I can egt you a phone number if you want it. Send me a PM if you do.

Got any pics of the pipes you could post?

Old 04-07-2004, 08:35 AM
Pro Rider

get yourself a good welded crank.

Old 04-07-2004, 09:01 AM
Elite Pro Rider

The pistons are probably oe compression. I would tear down the top end, do a fresh re-bore too new pistons, add 7 degrees of timing, shave the stock head .030, Delta Force reeds, and maybe top it off with a nice set of pipes. Running good 2 stroke oil is the life of the top end. I like Dexron 3 in the bottom end. You will be very surprised how reliable a properly maintained Banshee is.
Gary

Old 04-07-2004, 09:52 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, I'll try to post pics of the pipes tonight.

Be back then......

Old 04-07-2004, 07:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

you might want to stick with stock advance to +4 until you get the jist of the bike. Dont want you detonating or overheating that bike on your virgin ride. Stock pistons are cast, weisco's are generally forged and have many numbers on the crown of the piston. Stocks dont.

If you have a few bucks port the stock reed cages because they make just as much power as nearly every cage out there, bump the compression to 160-170, otherwise tell me your budget and ill spend it for you..lol

Old 04-07-2004, 08:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 1996 banshee with about 2000 $ in it or so. I put the Vito's Hemi head on (cool head) and the delta vforce reeds also put a boost botle on it to.I have FMF fatty pipes with FMF silencers with vito's crank and pistons bored over .030 and it screams[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] all you have to do is buy a dertwheels mag. and it will tell you every thing you need to know

Quick Reply: Hook me up with some Banshee build advice...