Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha Grizzly or Polaris 700 twin

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 02:23 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha Grizzly or Polaris 700 twin

I own a 660 and know too. I never had my belt get wet and slip with my grizzly and i have been in water up to the head lights. I seen alot of the polarises belts slip in just little area's of wate rlike only 2 feet deep. I will say one thing grizzlys are tanks in the snow mine will go just about anywhere. I made them sp500's look like they were little 80's people learned not to mess with my grizzly in the snow because they just can't run the pace i can. Yes all quads have there up and downs. The main thing is get the quad tah is in your price range. Like if you find a grizzly for $5000 and thats in your price range get it.

Old 04-11-2004, 02:50 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DANO38
So if your "other" atv's with "diff lock" have true 4x4, than why do you all have to rock them back and fourth so much to
get through the real bad stuff???? And don't tell me you haven't, because ive seen it a million times while riding with them!
Or is it because the guy's i seen were confused by all the levers you need to press/pull that they wer in "diff lock"???[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

What do you mean by rocking back and forth. I've never seen any grizz rider do that. Or even polaris riders for that matter. So you are saying in diff lock is not a true 4wd. Last time I was pulling my bros 500 polaris all four wheels on the grizz 660 were spinning(and did I mention that I didn,t have to rock the machine back and forth). But I guess to the uneducated that all 4 wheels spinning isn't a true 4wd. What do you think is a true 4wd is??? The confused guys with the buttons must have been polaris riders, the same ones that have problems with walking and breathing at the same time. Come on guys it's only two buttons you have to push, I really didn't think that it was confusing myself until the polaris guys said it was to complicated.

Old 04-12-2004, 07:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

While you are at it, might as well throw the new AC 650 in there too. More ground clearance than both Grizz and Sportsman, more power than both as well with the Kawi engine, and also has a nifty differential lock (which unlike the Prairie does not have to be held down at all times). That one is going to be hard to beat. All the right combinations off all the rest and still lighter weight than the sportsman.

But when one starts talking about weight, does that really matter? I mean, if one quad weighs 50lbs more than another, whats the difference if the rider weighs 50lbs more?

As far as the original question goes, the Sportsman gets the nod because it pulls all four when engaged and never loses any momentum to switch in and out. In other situations it doesn't favor the polaris system, but it works in mud like a charm.

As far as all of the different ways you can look at this and all of the different "I saw this do this" stories, I saw a 450 Honda outmud a sportsman back in the day because the sportsman's belt kept slipping. I still would say the Polaris is twice the mudder as the 450 though. Everyone has a story or two to tell.

Old 04-12-2004, 10:43 PM
Range Rover

The polaris 700 is great for mud Puddles///but if u want to go into knee high Mud without a problem,,the grizz is the way to go//I cant even count how many quads i pushed and pulled out of mud holes.///the grizz has plastic floorboards that glide over the mud while the polaris has metal which gets stuck up easily///besides mud,,the grizz stands up to its name when it comes to snow//

Old 04-12-2004, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

well...i thought i would add my $.02 to this convo, as being a previous owner of a 500HO....and i will address Sparky660's misconception about the polaris AWD system. When you have the switch set to 4x4, it will stay in 2WD, until the rear tires spin about 20% faster than the rear, which then will lock both front hubs, thus locking both front tires. Which then the polaris will spin all 4 tires. And not the one with the most traction like you stated previously. Now, I think I will add this link to a vid. Keep an open mind while watching, and make sure to watch to the end when you see the comparison made on quite a few diff ATV's with a sportsman. Its quite interesting actually...

http://image.polarisindustries.com/a..._Kiosk_AWD.wmv

also for anyrider00, polaris's intake for the PVT is right near the top of the gastank, only way I can see how a polaris will slip a belt with that low water, is either a broken seal on the PVT junctions, or they hit that water at a decent speed.

Old 04-13-2004, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider

I will retract my remark with the tire with the most traction bit. I was wrong. The bad thing was that it was my bud with the 500 ho that told me that. I watched the video and that was cute. I guess 2 buttons must be confusing for some riders. I usually don't wait until I'm stuck to put it into 4wd and diff lock. I will try to put it in before I hit a mud hole or off-chamber situation. It's something I call fore-sight.
That ad of course is a marketing ploy to make polaris look good as any advertisements. I just don't know where polaris gets the illusion that they have the only true 4wd system on the market as most of the polaris riders claim.

One last thing and I may be shot ny my fellow yammy bretheren, I like the idea of having a shift on the fly 4wd like the polaris.

Old 04-13-2004, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider

lol sparky...I thought that commercial was quite a good one at maken polaris look good. its obvious to throw on full 4wd before entering some "fun" obstacles, but for the novice rider, they might not think that far ahead as to lock the front diff. and get stuck halfway through. The great things about the polaris's is the fact they are easy to learn, which is polaris's best selling point, mixed with the fact of the innovations they try to include into their machines.

also I think polaris gets there the only one with true 4wd, by the fact you only have to push "one" button, and after that, if the rear tires spin faster than the fronts, both the fronts lock automatically, which cant be said about the other manu.'s ATV's.

Old 04-13-2004, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah yuo have a good point with that novice bit and the 4wd thing. I'm a firm believer that 99% of the qauds ability come down to the rider. I will admit I'm biased towards the grizz but when it boils right to the nitty gritty all the big cc qauds are awesome machines. They all have there strenghts and weaknesess. I would own a 700 prairie any day if my father in-law wasn't a yammy dealer. I ride with a 700 and we seem to take turns pulling each other out.