Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

What to invest money in first on raptor???

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 11:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to invest money in first on raptor???

Well I plan on getting my new raptor here in another month or so...So I was wondering what to invest some money in first.....so I need some opinions....A. should I invest in body (nerfs, skid plate, swingarm skid. a-arm guards. bumper...etc..) or B. engine (header, exhaust, rejet, air intake..etc)????

Question B~I'm leaning more to engine mods first...if I do..what would be the best exhaust and header combo??? I want something thats going to get me good low end power and add in the midrange..and I don't want to sacrafice any top end...I want it to have a spark arrester..and I don't want something thats loud as H#ll either...I plan on running the pro flow kit with K&N filter with no air box lid..and I plan on rejetting...I just need help on a good exhaust and header (I might get the fmf powerbomb header) thats going to give me the max with the air intake and rejetting......

Old 04-15-2004, 11:29 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A swing-arm skid would be #1 on my list.

Old 04-15-2004, 11:41 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: quadracer18
Question B~I'm leaning more to engine mods first...if I do..what would be the best exhaust and header combo??? I want something thats going to get me good low end power and add in the midrange..and I don't want to sacrafice any top end...I want it to have a spark arrester..and I don't want something thats loud as H#ll either...I plan on running the pro flow kit with K&N filter with no air box lid..and I plan on rejetting...I just need help on a good exhaust and header (I might get the fmf powerbomb header) thats going to give me the max with the air intake and rejetting......
Power is nothing without control.

Old 04-15-2004, 12:09 PM
Pro Rider

Well its true that you need control.but whats the purpose of having control if you don't have a lot of power to control?..I do alot of trailriding and I don't know if I'm going to invest in aftermarket shocks a-arms and that sort of thing...I meen eventually I'll do everything..power...protection..and maybe even invest in an extended swingarm and maybe a +2, +1 a'arm...but like I said I do a lot of trailriding and I don't want to sacrafice to much ground clearence.

Old 04-15-2004, 12:10 PM
Elite Pro Rider

2 initial must haves are a pro-flo flange (or equivelent) and a swingarm skid.

Old 04-15-2004, 12:26 PM
Pro Rider

i agree with focusing on control and protection first. A stock Raptor has plenty of power...more than enough to out perform it's stock suspension and geometry. if you woods riding...you could definately ride faster if you focused there. the stock power is more than you need in the woods.

now, if your riding sand pits or dragging there are cheap mods you should do to tap the Raptors true potential. you'll wake the raptor up by removing the air box snorkle and cutting out the tabs that restrict the incoming air...then add an aftermarfket air filter, slip on pipe and rejet. Bam! nice noticable gains.

think of it this way...imagine taking a marathon runner and asking him to run a race while breathing through a straw. get the picture.

Old 04-15-2004, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider

Swingarm skid plate as thick as you can get.

Old 04-15-2004, 01:54 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, well I'll start with protection and body first before engine, exhaust and air mods....what should I do...I am defenetly going to get a swing-arm skid...but what else do you think I should invest in for control?? Should I invest in extended a-arms?? or would that sacrafice my ground clearence to much? I defenetly will have full underbody protection....Give me some ideas! and Thanks for everyone who's already helping me!

Old 04-15-2004, 02:54 PM
Pro Rider

Maybe a steering stabilizer, in the rough stuff they can make an excelent addition to the raptor's handling. I ride in the woods alot and If the trails are tight then you wouldnt really want to make it any wider. Alot of the guys i ride with have DS 650's and they bump trees all the time.

Old 04-15-2004, 03:21 PM
Pro Rider

well if you extend the a-arms..you have to replace the shocks and also the brake lines. so now, the front of your quad is nice and stable...so now you have to even it out by getting a wider axle.

cha! ching! your talking thousands of dollars. i would suggest experimenting with wheel spacers and/or offset rims. that will allow you to invest in an aftermarket axle which isn't a bad idea to replace, considering Yamahas are well known for being weak.

then i would consider a diffrent handlebar...you would be surprised how your quad feels with a diffrent bend. (i switched to CR low bend...the raptor sits a little high for a quad...the low bend encourages you to keep your weight above the tank...which is a must for the raptor)

steering stabilizer is another good addition for increased handling. the less your fatiqued..the longer and faster you can ride.

Quick Reply: What to invest money in first on raptor???