Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Whats your worst problem ever with your Wolverine?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 02:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worst problem ever with the Wolverine?

I had my rear differential seal go before i bought it (used) and water and mud got into the rear end. The machine made a grinding noise because all of the bearings in the rear end were shot. When my dad and I took the rear end out we foud deciigrated bearings. $90 dollars later and a little bit of work and its better than new. I used Moose rear differential bearings and Pivot Works wheel bearings.

1997 Wolverine
Stock, Expecting summer upgrades
Airbox mods, the 424 system, ids2, and some 25'' tires

1986 Honda 200sx
Stock

1988 Suzuki 230 Quadsport
Stock

Old 04-22-2004, 05:28 PM
Range Rover
Default Whats your worst problem ever with your Wolverine?

Base gasket on my 99 at about 1000km, rear brake disk and broken frame on 99 wolverine , broke the needle (carb) while running on my 95, regular brakes and bearings.

Old 04-22-2004, 08:45 PM
Pro Rider

I had a '98 wolverine. Bought it new. I replaced the front wheelbearings 3 times, all three brake pads 4 times. I took it to 4 different dealers to find out why it would get hot and bog down. No one could find anything wrong. Any time it was 85 degrees or hotter it would get real hot and lose power.I replaced one rear hub. I replaced seals in the rearend. Replaced mastercylinder for rear brake. The final straw was when it wouldn't go when in gear. It would just sit there and make agrinding noise in the rear differental. I took it to the closest dealer. It seems that the teeth on the rear axle were rounded off. They never seen anything like that before. I decide to trade it on a Grizzly. Good riddens!

Old 04-22-2004, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: WolverineMan15666
I decide to trade it on a Grizzly. Good riddens!
That is what I say to Grizzly owners on the trails. Anyways....

Worst thing I replaced was rebuilding the carb after the plastic pluger thingy disentigrated. That was when I got it in about 99. Since then, front wheel bearings, oil, and gas. It is pretty bulletproof.

Old 04-23-2004, 04:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

1997 Woverine, bought it new, have somewhere in the neighborhood of 7500 miles on it, most of it being in mud and muskeg. Was used as a work quad for surveying in the first two years.

Other than the usual things like brake pads and wheel bearings this quad has not had too many repairs done on it.

Here's the only trouble I've had with it......

- Front Drive U-Joints and one of the Yokes got toasted when U-joint blew out at high speed
- Rear bearings went and waited too long before replacing them which caused too much play in the rear axle. The play in the rear axle caused the splines on the axle and on the rear pinion to get stripped. (Cost around $800 Canadian to fix.)

Not too bad for seven years of abuse.

Old 05-28-2004, 10:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

I shut my quad off to check out the trail because of my friend on his trx 90 and i got back only to find a dead battery this ment we had to ride 2 up on a quad bearly sutiable for either of us. So six miles later im home and i have to call an artic cat owner[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]. I went to his house with a two rope and a battery jump pack. Once there i realized i left the key back at the shop this meaning the next six miles would be my worst. Towed home by an artic cat. And then trucked home in a dodge. It was very bad. I got home found the key put the battery pack on and it started up so its not like i had to be towed very thankful for that.

1997 Wolverine
Stock, Expecting summer upgrades
Airbox mods, the 424 system, ids2, and some 25'' tires

1986 Honda 200sx
Stock

1988 Suzuki 230 Quadsport
Stock

Old 06-09-2004, 12:02 PM
Pro Rider

about 4 months after i got mine it started this thing where it would idle and when you gave it any more gas it would sputter like if you leave the parking brake on, butt, that wasnt it. continued to do it, took it to the dealer, said it was the CDI then said it wasnt but still charged for new CDI and didnt put my old one back in, F dealers they suck never take any quad to a dealer again, but as I was saying they replaced somthing else. It came home and ran fine for a month or so. did it maybe two or more three times where it would and id like tap on the side of the carb, let it sit for a few days, whatever. Then it stopped and has yet to happen again. never found out why but dont really care lol. i think it was a sticky float in hindsight now that i know more because it would cut off at different RPMs different times. Since i had my carb rebuilt when i had it jetted for my pipe and filter havenet had a peep in that manner from it and now i take it to my guy at Two stroke Performance a few towns over. he takes forever but is cheaper then anybody else and wont fix somthing unless its broken, unlike the good old dealers where you cant walk out of there with a bill less then 600 bucks every time if it was one bearing or a flat tire. he also lets me give an upfront price like 2 or 500 dollars and he will do most anything reasonable in that aproximate price range.

Old 06-10-2004, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider

things I replaced

front steering knuckle- $200+
brother blew my engine up- $1750.
rear axle- insurance payed for

that's the most I spent.

Old 06-10-2004, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider

Things i have replaced..

OEM Spec lighting..
Rear hub..
Brakes...
Rebuild carb
dead battery
exhuast repackaging

Not to bad..

Old 06-11-2004, 11:25 AM
Trailblazer

i once found out that wolverine's cant breathe under water...lol
i heard the sickening sound of "glub..glub..glub..glub" (water rushing into the intake snorkel) needless to say she swallowed about 2 gal. of water...approx. $550 worth of engine reworking, retuning, oil changing, carb rejetting, air filter changing, and she's a.g.a.n.