Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

To get more bottom end outta of a Warrior

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004 | 08:09 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default To get more bottom end outta of a Warrior

Smaller front, or Bigger back, Which is better? What is the stock gearin for a Warrior? Thanks

Old 05-20-2004 | 08:29 PM
Trailblazer

dude you wanna gear down???? dang i rarely even use first ... i go through first and second so quickly...
what are you looking to do??? mx, dunes, but seriously.. i went from 22 tires in the rear to 20s.. it helped
greatly but in first i cant keep the wheels on the ground

Old 05-20-2004 | 09:31 PM
Pro Rider

if gearing is what u wanna change, go down just one in the front, its cheaper than adding teeth in the back, its only like 6-10$ for a front srpocket, as oppsed to 15 for a rear

Old 05-20-2004 | 10:35 PM
Trailblazer

Drop to a 12 Tooth sprocket on the front, thats what I did. The only time you will need first is to take off or crawl over rough areas. I just went to hatfield/McCoy trails a few weeks ago with that setup and ate the trails up! Makes 3rd - 6th more usable. Thats my take on it at least.

Old 05-21-2004 | 02:32 AM
Trailblazer

ok now i thought i had this right but... smaller sprocket... == more top speed.... bigger == more accelleration
just like on a bicycle as u go through the gears and go faster... u move to a smaller sprocket in the back

right?? or is it the other way around.. i think i'm right but?

Old 05-21-2004 | 03:42 AM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Cotton, MCs and Quads are opposite from bicycles. You had it wrong in the other thread as well and just haven't corrected you over there.

I think the Warrior is something like 13/42 or so. That's front/rear. A bicycle would have a gear something like 42/13 (that's a wild a** guess there.)

On motorized stuff you drop teeth on the front (counter sprocket) to pick up more low end. Add teeth to pick up the top end and make each gear run longer.

The gear ratios on the sprockets are roughtly 1:3. One front tooth is equal to 3 rear teeth in opposite direction.

front Rear
+2 = -6
+1 = -3
-1 = +3
-2 = +6

So you can actually get some fine tuning going on by doing a combination of front and rear sprockets. Or really go any particular way with a combination of both. Anything more than a 1 tooth change up front and you might need a new chain, or add/remove a link on your current one. Get a new chain instead.

Dropping to a 20" rear tire on the Warrior is about the same as dropping a tooth on the front. But you don't lose an inch of precious ground clearance. I ride some places where ground clearance is important. And low RPM torque is also good. So dropping a tooth up front is preferable to dropping a tire size. Sprockets are also quite a bit cheaper than a set of tires.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 05-21-2004 | 04:26 AM
Pro Rider

Just pretend every gear was a half step lower, and now you understand what it does. I dont really see the difference in mostly using 3-5 instead of 2-4 because you changed sprockets.
The real ways to get torque include, more compression, more intake/exhaust velocity, more displacement, more timing and some others im prolly not remembering.

Old 05-21-2004 | 10:35 AM
Pro Rider

I have a 89 warrior and for the longest time i had a 12 tooth sprocket on the front of it. The low end power wwas so quick and snappy. if you could shift fast enough it was like riding a 2-stroke. since then though i have moved up to a 15 tooth sprocket and put 22's shredders on the back, it depends on where and how you ride. i ride long distances so the high gearing makes my top speed greater. if you put a 15 tooth on the front of your warrior or a 14 tooth you would be surprised by the torque that you have, and also the top speed. the only thing that you need to worry about with a smaller front sprocket is overrevving the engine. good luck