Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

How about some educated guesses on horsepower and torque on my 686.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How about some educated guesses on horsepower and torque on my 686.

I am currently having my raptor built to a 686 and although i have a horsepower number that i will be at from the builder i would like to hear some of your actual numbers from a dyno.I do not doubt the horsepower number that i was given at(60HP) but i would like to hear what some other 686 builds have put out on a dyno.My thoughts are that the pipe i will have will help those numbers be just a bit higher but i suppose only a dyno run will tell for sure.I will list what i am having done and any ideas on what power and torque you think i will have as well as what( mikuni mains) you think will work at sea level will be appreciated.My build will consist of 11:1 wiseco 102mm piston,ported head,oversize exhaust valves,web 736/737cams,web valve springs,carillo rod,lightened flywheel,LTE dual exhaust with stock carb and pro design air filter system.My last trip to our local comp hill showed me what this builders raptors are capable of and if mine is even close to the performance that i saw i will be very pleased.Just for information purposes i am currently running mikuni 175-180 mains and they seem a bit rich but they should work well for this new build or at least should be close.Thanks in advance for any responses and yes i am anxious to get it back as you can imagine.

Old 05-23-2004, 12:27 AM
Pro Rider

Yer jetting will be lean forsure. Mine put out about 60 HP but the engine keeps granading so I hope yours doesn't do that being that they are pushing about the same HP and mods.

Old 05-23-2004, 01:42 AM
Pro Rider

bigbubba-Did you lose your motor again?I seem to remember that you had a rod failure last year or was that you?I am hoping that the carillo rod and the fact that the builder has not had any failures on his 686 motors in the year and a half he has been building them will work in my favor.As far as my jetting is concerned i thought i remembered that you were using mikuni mains smaller than what i have on your 686 werent you?After talking with the builder i am confident in his ability to build a reliable motor and although my jetting may be slightly lean it should be very close or close enough to not be a problem and i will adjust as necessary.The black raptor that is so fast at comp in florence that i mentioned last week was built by the same builder that is doing mine so it should perform well.

Old 05-23-2004, 03:21 AM
Pro Rider

I wouldn't put all of your happiness into dyno numbers, they can change quite a bit from dyno to dyno and readings also depend on tires, type of dyno, etc. Hopefully you'll be pleased with the a$$ dyno gains! Who is it that is building your engine? Sounds like it should be a runner, and good luck with your build! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-23-2004, 03:35 AM
Pro Rider

wallstreet-I agree that you shouldnt put too much emphasis on the results of a dyno reading but it is at least a rough gauge of where i will be as compared to other 686 builds.The builder is in jefferson oregon and i have seen some of his raptors run and they are very fast.It should be a very strong runner and if the builder agrees that nitrous would be safe i will add that for drag racing and then i should be right there with anything that i line up with except for the fastest drag quads with the lightest riders aboard.I will report the results of my drag races after break in.

Old 05-23-2004, 06:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Any chances of running NOS, make sure your crank is welded.

Old 05-23-2004, 10:20 AM
Pro Rider

I'd say low-mid 50's(SAE) on a Dynojet 150.

Trending Topics

Old 05-23-2004, 01:16 PM
Elite Pro Rider

dune is that the black raptor that comes from albany area? if it is his name is dale and your right he is a runner, he was getting me on the hill and i was getting him on the flats. i think his real secert is he has lightened his whole drive system, unless he's done more the nitrous system should push the ds a ways ahead of him, finally. him and i run into each other about every 4 months. i've meet that guy from jefferson a few times also i think you made a good choice, finding a local builder is kind of nice. well good luck hope it works as you hope, but knowing you you'll stay after it until it does. got the cam in alex's 400, going for the fcr next then the 300 will get the 400 carb, never ending i guess[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 05-23-2004, 02:16 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Dune- my hp guess are

1. Dyno jet dyno- 50.8 at 7500 rpm
2. mustang dyno 56.6 at 7500 rpm
3. superflow dyno 60.0 at 7500 rpm

I would ask your builder to do a little de-burring/sanding or dremmil tooling on the weslico piston. The ones that i have seen have all had rough pointed edges. Those will be "hot spots" if not addressed.

Good luck

Old 05-23-2004, 02:19 PM
Elite Pro Rider

sorry, i misread your post. I thought you wanted your hp guesses. lol

I have dynoed anywhere from 44hp (trinity 686) all the way to 74hp in my 686 and different build combo's.

Quick Reply: How about some educated guesses on horsepower and torque on my 686.