Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

TIRE AND WHEEL SIZES FOR UTILITY ATV'S

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 07:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TIRE AND WHEEL SIZES FOR UTILITY ATV'S

I BOUGHT A 2003 YAMAHA 450 KODIAK HUNTERS EDITION ATV. MY FIRST ATV. I NOTICE JUST ABOUT ALL ATV'S COME WITH WHEELS DIFFERENT WIDTHS IN FRONT USUALLY NARROWER THAN REAR. WHY?I HAVE A 4 WHEEL DRIVE PICKUP AND I HAVE ALL THE WHEELS THE SAME SIZE. WHY ARE ATV'S DIFFERENT. CAN I PUT SAME SIZE WHEELS IN THE FRONT LIKE THE REAR WHEELS? WILL THEIR BE HANDLING PROBLEMS? CAN ANYBODY EXPLAIN THIS? I USE MY ATV PRIMARILY FOR HUNTING AND OCCASIONALLY TRAIL RIDING.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 05-25-2004, 02:52 PM
Range Rover

Well NIMROD you have come to the right place for answers to questions like this. I am going to take a stab at what I believe is the reasoning to the mayhem. The smaller widths in the front are mostly to make turning easier. You cannot compare it to a truck since that size/weight is different and you have power steering. Secondly, I think that with the smaller tires in the front gives a sporty feel to the entire machine. For me, it seems easier to get in and out of situations with the smaller tires (use my for hunting and trail riding also). I am sure that other fellas will agree and disagree with me as to each there own.

Old 05-25-2004, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider

there smaller in the front because its alot easier to turn smaller tires there isnt as much surface contact.. have you ever taken saya truck with 10 inch wide tires drove it for a while then drove one with 15 inch wide tires??" its alot harder to turn and what not im sure you could put the same size tires in the front but u would have a very hard time turning and your turing radius would be much larger. also having bigger tires in the back will allow for better traction for the spinning rear wheels thats why big dragsters have big *** tires so they can grab the road

Old 05-26-2004, 01:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Smaller tires (more narrow rather) are on the front so it will turn easier. This is true. The reason the rims are different width from front to back, is because the tires are wider in the rear most of the time. If you put an 8" wide tire and a 12" wide tire both on a 7" rim, the 12" tire will be balooned and will be taller mounted than the 8". To keep the tires at a level height with each other, they use a wider rear rim to balance it out. Thus keeping you from having a taller rear (which keeps the ratio in check for a 4wd). Thats one way of looking at it. The simple way would be they use a wider rim in the back because the tire is wider. But I know I have to keep the air down in my rears to keep the tire height close, cause both my rims are 7" wide front and back.