Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Idle problems with Warrior, can't figure out

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 11:45 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle problems with Warrior, can't figure out

'89 Warrior, rebuilt the carb and it runs great throughout all ranges of throttle, also lubed throttle cable but I haven't gotten rid of my idle problem. When I give it gas in neutral the rpms stay high instead of coming back to idle speed. Adjust idle screw back to correct idle speed give it gas again and idle speed stays high. Also happens when riding, it's worse when cold but not much. Also adjusted cable at twist throttle. Can't figure this one out, would appreciate any ideas.

Thanks,
Gary in Vegas

Old 05-25-2004, 12:01 AM
Trailblazer

rebuild carb, clean pilot jet and main jet set the floats also try looking at the the rubber boot that is between the carb and the engine if this is dry rotted this will suck air in and make your bike idle real high. get a NGK plug and run race gas and run the ***** off of it. dont forget to set the air/fuel mixture on the carb

Old 05-25-2004, 01:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

Also check to see that the slide isnt sticking. With the engine off push the throttle and release it, you should hear the slide make an audible bottoming out sound when the throttle is released. Other than that it could be an air leak somewhere or the mixture screw is off.

Old 05-25-2004, 11:09 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the replies, like I said I rebuilt the carb all new jets and gaskets and it runs better than it did, it's just the damn idle. It seems to act like a vaccum leak but I can't find it. I've adusted the cable at the throttle to correct freeplay, there's also an adjustment at the end of the cable by the carb. Does this basically do the same thing? I'm pretty sure it's got to be something simple and I'll kick myself once I find the problem.

Old 06-07-2004, 01:42 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

A vacuum leak would do this.. but when you did your rebuild, did you soak it in carb cleaner for a while? There are a lot of litle passeges that can gum up with varnish if you leave old gas in it for too long without using stabil....