Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor carbs driving me nuts

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 11:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor carbs driving me nuts

i honestly believe you have a fuel delivery problem. If the bike was to rich, you will immediately feel it at High RPM. If it runs well at high RPM for a while and then start bogging down, while you are at WOT, then its fuel delivery. The white electrode seems to confirm this.

The float levels might be to low, or you have a slight blockage in the fuel supply. Set the float level to 3mm at the mating surface of the carb and measure it with a clear tube to make sure. Then make sure the needle valves are clean. Blow into the fuel pipe leading to the carbs, while you have them on the bike and no fuel in them. Do not open the carbs, just open the drain screw and let the fuel out. You should not struggle to blow into the pipe.

Also make sure the petcock and tap is flowing fuel very easily. Another thing that might also mess you around is the breather pipe on the gas cap. Make sure that hole and pipe is not blocked. If it is blocked it might form a vacuum inside the tank and it will not flow fuel.

Old 06-08-2004, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider

Freez is right on![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I had this problem with my bike before. At WOT it would use gas faster than the float bowls could fill back up. I would get some needle valve and seats out of a Grizzly 660 and install those. This should fix your running out of fuel on the top end. Because thats what it sounds like to me.

Old 06-08-2004, 02:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Freez
i honestly believe you have a fuel delivery problem. If the bike was to rich, you will immediately feel it at High RPM. If it runs well at high RPM for a while and then start bogging down, while you are at WOT, then its fuel delivery. The white electrode seems to confirm this.

The float levels might be to low, or you have a slight blockage in the fuel supply. Set the float level to 3mm at the mating surface of the carb and measure it with a clear tube to make sure. Then make sure the needle valves are clean. Blow into the fuel pipe leading to the carbs, while you have them on the bike and no fuel in them. Do not open the carbs, just open the drain screw and let the fuel out. You should not struggle to blow into the pipe.

Also make sure the petcock and tap is flowing fuel very easily. Another thing that might also mess you around is the breather pipe on the gas cap. Make sure that hole and pipe is not blocked. If it is blocked it might form a vacuum inside the tank and it will not flow fuel.
Sounds like you got the answer here. I would go with Freeze and see what you find out.

Of course, post a response as soon as you get this fixed....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-08-2004, 06:24 PM
Trailblazer

Damn I recieved more help from this forum than I got from Two dealers and numerous "experts" in town. I will work on the rappy tonight and take it out for a few runs tomorrow, I will let you all know what happens.

Old 06-08-2004, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider

You are only running a "slip on" with all of that gas and air being forced in. Did you put your stock filter and lid on and see if that stopped it? Style of riding can also cause it. I ride with a guy who has the same setup as I do and he put puts on his so much he loads up the carbas and finally blows them completely off the motor when he guns it.

have also installed the GYT-R Carbon Fiber Slip-on.

Old 06-08-2004, 07:22 PM
Trailblazer

I had the exact same problem when i was running the stock exhaust and the stock filter and lid with snorkel. I think it is running out of fuel on top end, I am going to try FREEZ's suggestions and see waht happens. With the stock parts it had the exact reaction, but with the new parts I am just going faster when it happens LOL.

Old 06-24-2004, 01:33 AM
Trailblazer

Hey Fast5ty did you solve your problem with the bigger needle / seats? I have the EXACT same problem going on as you describe.