Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

RAPTOR CHAIN PROBLEM OR CLUELESS IN UTAH

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 07:26 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RAPTOR CHAIN PROBLEM OR CLUELESS IN UTAH

hello all well first i was ridding down a dirt road nothing ruff at all ,cars drive on this road i went through a dip in the road and when i came to them bottom clank i look, and my chain came off the back and when i got it home after i unbound the chain from the front sprocket i noticed the front sprocket was missing 2 teeth so i figure a rock or something got up in my sprocket and broke it causin my chain to come of well i got a new front sprocket renthal and went back to riding. after riding down a paved road at 5th gear pinned i slow down and get on a dirt trail well when i pulled of the road guess what happened?the dam chain fell of the back again this time i didnt have a ride back to my house so i unbind the chain out of the front sprocket the renthal held up roll the quad backwards and the chain goes on i babie it in first back to my house the chain fell of again in my drive way what is going on?the only thing i changed on the quad besides the oil is razr rear tires they are 2 inchs taller than stock and i put some new lug nuts closed ended way to long and heavy im getting new ones but i dont want the chain to come off at fifth gear that could get messy any ideas?

any help you can throw my way
ill even do the trufle shuffle
thank you for any help

Old 06-16-2004, 08:41 AM
Pro Rider

Make sure you have your chain tightened to the correct specs. You have all the rollers and chain guards on your quad I am assuming. Another good thing to check is that your axle adjustments are lined up after the chain is close to the specs.

Rule of thumb with the sprockets and chains are, when you replace one, you replace all. This prevents any abnormal wear on the sprockets and chain.

Few questions, When was the last time you changed your chain? When was the last time you adjusted your chain?

Old 06-16-2004, 10:06 AM
Pro Rider

I agree...If you were able to roll the chain on pretty easily...I would take a look at the adjustment. It is very possible you have a stretched chain.

Old 06-16-2004, 07:39 PM
Pro Rider

just wondering if u got this squared away yet.

Old 06-16-2004, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider

it is the stock chain i think. i bought the quad from a dentist who never rode it maybe 20 hours scared him he went to a grizzly but i got the bike with a 12 tooth front i havent counted the teeth on the rear but i think the back is a stock 40 tooth i tighten the chain after i put the new front sprocket on it and it was fine or so i thought i also lined up the marks on the back so they were even with each other does the marks have to be in the middle or as long as both sides are the same? ill probably drive up to rockymountainatv tommorow and get a new chain and rear sprocket any opions on the primary drive line of sprockets?im goin to get a steel rear,what about their chains?how often do you have to adjust your chain?

thanks for all your help

Old 06-17-2004, 01:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hate to tell you but it sounds like your bearing in the rear axle may be out. It would let the axle move forward and then the chain will jump off

Old 06-17-2004, 03:26 AM
Pro Rider

is there any way to check the bearing to see if its gone bad? what kind of a job am i looking at replacing it if it has gone bad?

Old 06-17-2004, 03:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

1 See if your axle nuts are tight

2 Jack up the back end grab the axle and see if there is any movement between the axle and the axle housing.

Not bad job but if it is the bearings. Theres a spacer in between, its cheap and should be replaced w/ the bearings

Old 06-17-2004, 07:31 AM
Pro Rider

JABBER71 i see you have a 12 44 gear combo did your skid plate fit fine?is it the stock guard?

Old 06-17-2004, 11:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah the plate fit fine. I did have to add a link to my chain, not enough adjustment. Before I was running a 13 / 40 combo

Quick Reply: RAPTOR CHAIN PROBLEM OR CLUELESS IN UTAH