Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

New Rappy...First Tune-Up

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 02:24 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Rappy...First Tune-Up

I bought a Raptor a couple weeks ago and I'm wondering how long I should ride before I tune it up. The guy at the dealership said ride it for a month. A lot of things can happen in a month and I would like to know how many hours or miles. I have noticed that the engine is getting louder and it seems to have lost some power, but what is the best way to tell when your valves need to be adjusted? Also, while I'm at it, for some reason if I run 1st out about half way and nail it, when I pull the clutch and shift it will go into neutral almost every time. Any ideas???

JB

Old 06-19-2004, 03:04 PM
Pro Rider

I would say to ride it 20hrs and then do the "tune up." The loud engine and loss of power are symptoms of bad valve lash. The problem with hitting neutral is a common problem on raptors with the stock shifter, I would recommend you get a direct shifter (no linkage) from ebay for around $27+shipping.

Old 06-19-2004, 03:10 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: caliraptor
The loud engine and loss of power are symptoms of bad valve lash.
If the problem is from valve lash do I need to go ahead and adjust them or is this characteristic of a Raptor before the first tune?

jb

Old 06-19-2004, 03:42 PM
Trailblazer

HEy there, as far as your first service, the dealer told me to ride it between 6 and 10 hours before i brought it in. I rode it the 10hours and then took it to the dealer for service. They said within those first ten hours the rings would seat and the valve lash would need to be adjusted. While i had it in there i went ahead and added my GYT-R carbon fiber silencer, K&N slip in filter along with the K&N Power lid and the GYT-R jet kit. I had to do a little tuning once i got it home and rode it a few more hours, but now mine runs like a raped ape.

Another friend of mine bought his raptor last year and his dealer told him to change the oil after five hours and then adjust the valves and change the oil again after ten hours.

I would call your dealer and see what they recommend.

Old 06-19-2004, 03:53 PM
Trailblazer

The owner of the dealership doesnt seem to know his butt from a hole in the wall. He keeps saying to ride it for a month. I could ride for 5 minutes a day or 5 hours a day so in a months time the amount of wear and tear is all dependant on what kind of driver you are. I try not to ride it real hard for extended periods of time but I do give it hell. I wish there was a better shop around here for troubleshooting and general advice on these topics.

Either way, should I adjust the valves at home or pay the dealership $160 to do it? What all does the dealership tune-up consist of???

jb

Old 06-19-2004, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider

adjust your vavles at home. all the dealer does at the first service is change oil/adjust valves/check-change spark plug/make sure bolts are tight. I would do it myself and use those $160 for mods (sixsixT intake, 12T sprocket, jet kit) I would recommend you adjust your vavles every 20hrs and change the oil after every 10hrs.

Old 06-19-2004, 11:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I would go ahead and take it for a tune up. They should give you a deal on the first service, and it will improve the way your Raptor runs.