Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizz carb trouble

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 11:50 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grizz carb trouble

I have a '04 with less then 400 miles on it. Maybe closer to 300
This is the second time that I have gone to start it and it will not.
Find that the carb is empty [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Open bowl drain and nothing.
Take everything off to get to the carb. Tap if a dozen or so times and gas finally starts to flow.
Put everything back on and take it for a run down the street.
seems fine. Load it up in the truck. While locking it down I see the gas is leaking out of the over flow tube [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Double checked the screw was tight. It was.
Brought the unit back to the ground to look it over. Even while the motor is running gas is flowing out of the tube. I pinch the tube closed and the motor floods out.
Tear everything apart again. Find that with the air box off, motor running gas still coming out of the bowl drain. Kink the drain hose again. Shut off motor, gas back flowing out of the carb [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

WTF can this be?
Is carb problems under warranty?
Thinking I should take it in and have them deal it under warranty. Buddy says it will NOT be covered? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Let me know what you guys think

Old 06-28-2004, 03:07 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Either the float is hung up, and keeping the needle valve open. Or the needle valve and seat have junk in them, or are worn, so they dont seal when closed. Yep, id take it back and have the dealer fix it. And i believe it is covered under warentee, but you may want to ask first.

Old 06-28-2004, 10:42 PM
Range Rover

A similar thing happened to my 04 grizzly. I brought it home from the dealer with 0 miles and as soon as I turned the fuel on it began to flow out of the over flow tube from the bottom of the carb. For some reason I removed the gas cap and when I did a huge amount of air gushed out like it was under pressure. I then checked the vent tube that attaches to the gas cap and found that it was pinched underneath the plastic piece that snaps onto the center of the handlebars. It must have happened during assembly. It has never happened again.

Old 06-28-2004, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

I had the same thing happen to mine when I got it home. I took it back and the needle and seat had debri in it. I road it for 200 miles and it did it again and this time they replaced the needle and seat and said occasionally they even have to use an aftermarket needle and seat, But Yamaha doesn't like to pay for that without a lot of complaining.

Old 06-28-2004, 11:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

I know the feeling I had same problem twice when mine was new. The Dealer kept telling me it was the gas I was using. I was using Amoco gold but he insisted it was something else. said the needle valves were freezing up and blamed it on the cheap gas in the northern states. he claimed he had sevice bulletins on it. after asking to see them he claimed he could not find them. I now use Shell premium and never have had that happen again
I had to pay for the service the second time, claimed Yamaha would only pay for it once. Never buy from PRO SOURCE YAMAHA in MORRIS Illinois. Funny thing is my friends where filling up with Amoco gold also and had no problems