Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

you guys have to help/ stock raptor racing

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 12:58 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default you guys have to help/ stock raptor racing

my friend and i have stock 660 raptors, today we drag raced 10 times. I lost by about six bike lengths almost every race except when he couldn't keep the wheels down.

he took the baffle out of his pipe. my bike hasn't been touched. Neither bike has had the screw turned out on the throttle. I weigh thirty pounds more than he does. i thought i was the better rider, but not sure now.

could taking the baffle out of the stock pipe have that much of a difference???????? if i do take mine out will i have to rejet,,,or would it be ok,, i rode his bike but i didn't race him with it, i just rode it. i couldn't tell that much of a difference other than it sounds good. the area where i ride doesn't have noise laws and nobody cares.
would someone help with this question,,,,,,

Old 07-03-2004, 01:01 AM
Pro Rider

im also running ten pounds of air pressure in both front and back tires, i like the stiffer side wall feel. i wonder if this effects traction also. we raced on chat/ hard packed sand.

Old 07-03-2004, 01:27 AM
Trailblazer

Taking the baffle out will free up a little horsepower, I am not sure if you willhave to rejet or not though. As far as the air in the tires, drop it back down to 4 or 5psi, that will help you hook up better. ON hard pack soil 10psi will make the tires so hard that they will get a lot of whieel spin. If you drop to 4 or 5 psi and then take the baffle out you should be able to hang with him. The 30 extra pounds shouldnt hurt you too much if you learn how to use it. Shift your weight a bit forward and you should be able to keep the nose down and launch harder than your friend can. Good luck and smoke him at least once for all of us online.

Later
Tyson

Old 07-03-2004, 03:56 AM
Pro Rider

if you need hard sidewalls go to a holeshot XCT. those puppies are stiff with no air in them![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-03-2004, 04:07 AM
Pro Rider

Im going to try it, and take out the baffle. I think that will help and undo the screw on the throttle. Yah Ive mastered the art of shifting weight that helps tremendous. Im probably got to much wheel spin also.
Thanks for the in put.

Old 07-03-2004, 04:51 AM
Pro Rider

corect me if im wrong. i was reading in some other forums about removing the baffle without rejetting and filtering, The bike would run lean without jetting. I would see a noticeable increase in horsepower but later would suffer serious problems. A stock 4 stroke depends on back pressure as well as being balanced in the exhaust.

does everyone agree or what.
i think this is true, im going to just let some ar out of the tires and unscrew the throttle screw.......and lay the hammer down and hope to keep the front down when drag racing him.

Old 07-03-2004, 05:16 AM
Pro Rider

Try runnin 10% denatured alcohol in your tank, it'll help a little w/o any side affects.

Old 07-03-2004, 06:12 AM
Pro Rider

I agree with ya MAD, thats how i was taught. fortunately for me, when I piped mine, being at 4000' alt made jetting easy: none.
with the blaster i changed the main per instructions and it runs great! as for the raptor, both Pete at powroll and Rob at Muzzys said to leave those carbs alone unless i move to sea level., it runs awesome! hehe

there are a few guys on here who are REALLY up on the subject...if you need more help, just PM me and I'll give you some more ideas.
try not to run it lean.. watch the plug!