Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Nitrogen Filled Shocks - How do you Adjust Yours?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 03:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrogen Filled Shocks - How do you Adjust Yours?

I had a bad experience this past weekend and cost me some mulla for something very silly..... Ok, now I know you have to use a special gauge tool, has anyone have any info on getting this setup cheaper than the Shock dealers?

Old 07-06-2004, 03:59 PM
Pro Rider

You do not adjust the nitrogen pressure on these shocks. Your adjustments are handled by your compression, rebound, and preload. If you can not set it to your liking, then its time to look into spring rates, and revalving. Nitrogen is to be left alone. It is not an adjustment option.

Old 07-06-2004, 04:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Flynbryan
You do not adjust the nitrogen pressure on these shocks. Your adjustments are handled by your compression, rebound, and preload. If you can not set it to your liking, then its time to look into spring rates, and revalving. Nitrogen is to be left alone. It is not an adjustment option.
Then why do the companies sell refilling and charging kits? I was told from my manufacture to adjust to your liking. I didnt know of a tool until it was too late.....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 07-06-2004, 09:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Just for reassurance you do adjust the shocks you have with Nitorgen psi, but I can't offer any help with them.

Old 07-07-2004, 08:48 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RaptorOwner
Originally posted by: Flynbryan
Then why do the companies sell refilling and charging kits? I was told from my manufacture to adjust to your liking. I didnt know of a tool until it was too late.....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
They're just used for rebuild purposes. Sorry...... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 07-07-2004, 08:51 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Ward660R
Just for reassurance you do adjust the shocks you have with Nitorgen psi, but I can't offer any help with them.
Not to say your not correct Ward, but everything I've ever been taught(from techs as well as just around the pits) is that you DO NOT want to mess with the nitrogen unless your just checking to make sure that you have the adaquate amount of pressure. And from what I understand this is a fixed #.

Be careful when messing with the nitrogen on your shocks. If you let it run completely empty and try to ride, or overfill it you can burst the nitrogen bladder inside of your shock..... Costly to say the least.......

Old 07-07-2004, 10:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have been wrong once before, but I believe he runs Marvin Shaw. These are adjusted by the amount of Nitrogen pressure in them. You're just talking about a different kind of shock (what most people run). See nobody is wrong in this case. lol

Old 07-07-2004, 10:41 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Ward660R
I have been wrong once before, but I believe he runs Marvin Shaw. These are adjusted by the amount of Nitrogen pressure in them. You're just talking about a different kind of shock (what most people run). See nobody is wrong in this case. lol
LOL..... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I didn't realize he ran something other than a standard mx/xc style shock. I don't know anything at all when it comes to seting up marvin shaws...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 07-07-2004, 10:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

LOL, its ok...I don't know nothing about...well nothing.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-07-2004, 10:56 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Just spoke with Marvin Shaw yesterday and yes they are adjustable and they have the gauge and kit that will let you adjust the pressure and ride. I thought it was like a regular shrader valve and tapped it to let some out and it just let it all out[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] I had to take it down to a local shop which charged me 35.00 just to pump it back up with nitrogen.

Sorry I didnt mention the brand earlier....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]