Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

01 Raptor Starter making noise when turning over??

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Raptor Starter making noise when turning over??

After about 4 turnovers there is a big clunking sound then it locks up...WTF.... I do it over and over again and the dang thing keeps locking up.. Am I damaging the flywheel???, and please tell me I don't have to replace my one way bearing....

Old 07-06-2004, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

maybe take the cover off and see what she looks like.

Old 07-06-2004, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

be carfull theres some bearings that are easy to loose

Old 07-07-2004, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider

yep ur replacing it...lol sorry! yeah it will be damaged, the spring will likely be all loose and crap, i just threw mine on the floor after seeing the poorly designed yamaha made flywheel....yeah they may be fast but some things really tick me off

Old 07-07-2004, 12:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

the noise is probably a worn starter bendix..this prematurely wears out with inexperienced riders on a manal clutch quad

Old 07-07-2004, 08:17 AM
Pro Rider

I heard this is a recurring problem with the 01. What parts do I actually have to change? And is there aftermarket replacements so I don't have to replace junk with new junk.

Old 07-07-2004, 08:42 AM
Pro Rider

Get the L&A one-way bearing. It'll be the last one you'll have to buy. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Its built the way that yamaha SHOULD HAVE built it. You can get them through Raptortranny.com. And just friendly advice....If you don't go with the L&A one-way, you'll just be replacing it again in a year or so. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 07-07-2004, 10:52 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] @ the bad info

There is no bendix in a Raptor's starter, there are no "bearing" that are easy to lose, but it is probably the one way...but it might not be.

The LA Designs is the way to go on a replacement!!! Don't forget to buy a new gear for it!

Take the flywheel side case off and check it out before orderring though. You'll need to buy/borrow a flywheel puller, or get a harmonic balancer puller and some longer bolts. I can't remember what size they are, but I bet raptortranny.com has it listed.

Did this start all of the sudden, or has it progressively gotten worse? Has it ever made a grinding noise while starting? How about the starter turning, but not the motor? Will it start?

If this is your first one way, your need to buy me a LA lotto ticket cause you have to be the luckiest person I know! lol

Old 07-07-2004, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

Ward it has progressively gotten worse, It turns over a few times then once a grinding noise comes around it stops turning over altogether. And no the starter is never turning without the motor and yes it starts. ANd why am I so lucky. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 07-08-2004, 05:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

It does sound like the one way, other than the fact it never free wheels. I think 99.9% of junk one ways free wheel. Pull the cover and fly wheel and see, all it will cost you to check it is about 2 hours, a $3 gasket, and oil. If the gear and the one way are rough that is for sure what it is. I bet(like zim said) that your spring is broken.

Your lucky if this is your first one. I am on my fourth, one of which was a rebuilt one. My first one went out in the first 6 months I had it. This last time I replaced it with a LA Designs one way, it is truely worth the money.

Quick Reply: 01 Raptor Starter making noise when turning over??